ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Microsoft granted patents for PageUp and PageDn keystrokes!

<< < (2/3) > >>

Grorgy:
I really don't consider this all that outrageous given that people have placed copyrights on stupider things.
-Josh (September 10, 2008, 09:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

Just because others are even sillier is not, in my opinion, a reason to condone further stupidity.  Surely both microsoft and the patents office have more constructive things they could be doing?

Josh:
But tell me, isn't this the purpose of patents? To patent a way of doing something?

tomos:
But tell me, isn't this the purpose of patents? To patent a way of doing something?
-Josh (September 10, 2008, 01:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

:D I think it's about money but, yes, of course you're right

Are ms going to have to be paid off now by every keyboard producer ? or is the distinction between the keys & the action enough to spare them (presumably not, otherwise why the patent ...)

Darwin:
I think that the patent covers the way the pg-up and pg-down keys are used in programming, not the physical keys themselves.

Josh:
Right, patenting a key would be ridiculous, but the way in which the keys operate I see as a legitimate patent, just like the rolly storage bins which were advertised on TV during the late 90's were patented as a "Method of storage". Again, the title of this article misleads and does not actually indicate that it is a matter of HOW the key is utilized and not the ACTUAL key itself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version