topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:43 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: finding external USB drive contents (eg making a video catalog)  (Read 3191 times)

gtoal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I hacked up a quick program last week that lets me plug in my external hard drives, one at a time, and scans them to extract the file names which it writes to a CSV file.  (The code is specifically looking for video files and DVD images, but remove that restriction and it could catalogue anything).  It works well enough and was just what I needed (finding something on an external drive is tedious when you have more than a handful of them and can't plug them all in at once...), but it's a command-line utility and it would be more friendly to release it as a Windows GUI program.

If anyone feels like wrapping a Windows GUI around this thing, here's the source code.  There's a tiny amount of documentation in the top of the C file as comments.

http://www.gtoal.com/src/videocat/

I looked fairly hard and I couldn't find any existing utility that scans drives like this and outputs in a form that a DVD Library Manager could import.

I'm a fairly experienced old-time programmer but I'm sticking with command-line stuff and algorithm development; I really don't have a lot of interest in learning GUI programming myself and from what I've seen of the M$ interface, nowhere near enough free time to learn it all either :-/  However I write *lots* of utilities and would welcome working with people who enjoy M$ programming and find the GUI side of things easy...

Thanks,

Graham <[email protected]>