ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Time to reinstall Windows? Or get a new desktop?

<< < (5/7) > >>

Shades:
Now I say that my system is still going strong, but I did change from harddisk during this period. Replicated my complete installation from a SATA harddisk to a SATA2 harddisk using a free tool that took forever (and then some!!). The current lack of sleep turned my brain is just solid mass which would the reason why I can't recall the name at this time.

My laptop runned for 4 years without re-installation before I had enough of the sluggishness from XP in combination with the hardware. Now that laptop is running Windows 2000 and it is again a breeze to work with. XP on a 128MB RAM machine together with a slow 6 GByte harddisk is just 'asking for trouble'.

EDIT: note to self - proofreading should be done before pushing the post button!!

tomos:
I suspect that SP3 is to blame for these, but they are so irritating that I'm considering rebuilding again (this time stopping at SP2)
-PPLandry (September 10, 2008, 08:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

can one uninstall SP3 ? (probably getting v.messy there but might be worth a shot if possible?)

Carol Haynes:
You probably can unistall SP3 - there is usually an SP install option that lets you back up old files before updating so as long as that option was ticked ....

Anything installed post SP3 might need to be reinstalled, but probably not.

Having said that I have installed SP3 on numerous computers and apart from losing the Address Toolbar on the taskbar I haven't been aware of any issues with SP3. MAybe it is one of those SPs that cause some people real issues. Now Office 2003 SP3 is a right PITA and I never did install that (and now I use 2007 so it isn't an issue).

superboyac:
wow, pierre, sp3 sounds like a nightmare.
You know, a while ago, I had that thing where the computer would pause every 3 seconds.  I think I posted about it here.  I found the solution, but I don't remember it.  I think it had something to do with my Kaspersky program.

Ah!  here it is:
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=12318.0
It was spysweeper.

Darwin:
The only issue that I have seen with Sp-3 is that explorer.exe uses a lot more memory... It also hangs more often. However, I can't be absolutely certain that this is an Sp-3 issue (though it started pretty much immediately following the udpate).

YMWV (Your mileage WILL vary)!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version