ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Time to reinstall Windows? Or get a new desktop?

<< < (4/7) > >>

TucknDar:
Nothing beats a fully fresh windows install, though :)
-f0dder (September 09, 2008, 06:32 PM)
--- End quote ---
Speaking of which, you wouldn't mind sharing that nLite preset of yours would you? :-[

Carol Haynes:
When I did it I just used a complete image of the Windows XP disc and then added the drivers necessary for my hard disc.

gtoal:
> I built my current desktop back in December 2001

You're to be congratulated for running a windows-based OS for that long without needing a reinstall or being overrun by viruses for years without knowing it!

Dude, treat yourself to a new computer.  You'll get more compute power and less electrical power.  And if you don't already have one, get an LCD display :-)

G

superboyac:
> I built my current desktop back in December 2001

You're to be congratulated for running a windows-based OS for that long without needing a reinstall or being overrun by viruses for years without knowing it!

Dude, treat yourself to a new computer.  You'll get more compute power and less electrical power.  And if you don't already have one, get an LCD display :-)

G
-gtoal (September 10, 2008, 05:09 PM)
--- End quote ---
Ha!!  How'd you know?  I still have a CRT monitor!  It has such a huge ass, I can't wait to get rid of it.
If I get a new computer, I'm going to do what Zaine did.  Put Linux on the old one and try it out.

PPLandry:
Nothing beats a fully fresh windows install, though :)
-f0dder (September 09, 2008, 06:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

I thought so too... but recently had to switch HD and chose to re-install fom scratch and move it up to SP3. I even googled around on the best order to install programs (IE, Office, SP2, SP3, etc). My portable was 5 years old and working just fine.

My installation is just 2 weeks old now and there are a lot of things which are just not working as before. I suspect that SP3 is to blame for these, but they are so irritating that I'm considering rebuilding again (this time stopping at SP2).

Examples are:
- some high priority process seems to run every 3 sec. or so, preventing mouse move and making sound files choppy
- Only 1 process can send POP requests
- wheel scrolling sometimes has 1 sec delay
- Seems to be more HD activity
- MSAccess sometimes jams for 5 seconds while doing nothing special, unresponsive (I've dev. app with MSAccess for 15 years, so I know it well and have never seen this before)
- I installed Live Mesh and later on removed it and now I have a 2nd monitor named: "Live Mesh Remote Desktop Curtain Driver"  :( >:( and apparently no way of removing it.

And the list goes on...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version