ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Time to reinstall Windows? Or get a new desktop?

<< < (7/7)

Carol Haynes:
Two of my systems have AMD/nVidia nForce motherboards and nVidia graphics cards and neither have any problems with SP3. I have an Intel based notebook and an AMD ATI Xpress/ATI video card based desktop and neither of those have any issues either. None of my XP SP3 based VM machines have issues either.

I am grateful that I haven't had issues - maybe it is particular versions of nVidia's drivers causing the problems - have you looked to see if they have been updated?

OldElmerFudd:
 8)
You're set for some fun! I just finished building another box, very smooth and easy by now. Second the recommendation about Newegg and Crucial memory. Another thought: If you spend top dollar on the latest hardware, it'll be outdated in six months. The bleeding edge ain't all it's cracked up to be. Above 3Ghz on a CPU and 2.5Gb memory, and I can't tell much difference. Look for solid reports about last year's gear; user forums and newsgroups are a great way to go. Use your favorites; I love Seasonic power supplies. My machines run so quiet I have to look at them to see if they're on!

f0dder:
You don't even need 3GHz when you go core2, that's the beauty of their high IPC/CPI :) (I do have my 2.4GHz Q6600 overclocked to 3.0GHz, though).

As for silent power supply, that's pretty moot if you install a GPU with any kind of horsepower. Most of them are as noisy as supersonic jets :/

cranioscopical:
I am grateful that I haven't had issues - maybe it is particular versions of nVidia's drivers causing the problems - have you looked to see if they have been updated?-Carol Haynes (September 11, 2008, 07:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, thanks for the thought, but I've done all that stuff.

It doesn't concern me, I was just tossing my pebble into the 'post-SP3-turbulence' stream.

cranioscopical:
Another thought: If you spend top dollar on the latest hardware, it'll be outdated in six months. The bleeding edge ain't all it's cracked up to be.-OldElmerFudd (September 13, 2008, 01:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'll endorse that one!  My own days on the bleeding edge are over, too much trouble, insufficient reward -- perhaps, simply, ennui.  My recent system came from behind the curve and I'm more than satisfied.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version