ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Time to reinstall Windows? Or get a new desktop?

<< < (6/7) > >>

cranioscopical:
SP3 has some issues with screensavers.  For many they just won't kick in and the screens won't power off.

I found this was happening on one of my machines and went looking, only to find that I'm not alone.
(It's only a minor annoyance, plenty of ways around it.)

Carol Haynes:
Strange - I wonder why. No such probs with screensavers and powersaving mode here with SP3.

Darwin:
SP3 has some issues with screensavers.  For many they just won't kick in and the screens won't power off.

I found this was happening on one of my machines and went looking, only to find that I'm not alone.
(It's only a minor annoyance, plenty of ways around it.)

-cranioscopical (September 11, 2008, 01:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's interesting. i wonder if it is related to a problem that I've seen on both my personal notebook and my wife's notebook: both are set to go into standby when lid is shut but every so often they won't - you come back, raise the lid and log back in (both are set to require log-in from screensaver) and THEN they'll go into standby...

cranioscopical:
From what I read, systems with nVidia graphics suffer most (but it's not exclusive to those). The one system of mine that suffers from this does have nVidia graphics (same issue with different versions of the drivers).

I don't much care about this and won't be surprised if some other, subsequent, update slides in an unheralded (or serendipitous) fix.

Despite all our gnashing of teeth and rending of garments, I'm continually amazed that modern O/Ss can sustain so many and such varied systems.

Darwin:
Heh, heh - both notebooks have integrated (Intel) graphics...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version