ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Crash course in MUSIC: mp3/meta_Data/compilations/download_sites

<< < (2/4) > >>

Music_Guy:
For music format for a compilation, just know that in .WAV, you won't loose any sound quality from the original music files. MP3's won't sound as good however if you convert to MP3 files and set them for 192 kbps or higher, you won't hear too much of a difference compared to a wave on regular everyday speakers. 128 kbps or lower though and you'll hear a big chunk of 'meat' missing on the overall sound.

For downloading music legally, you should first decide whether you want a pay-per-song / album site, or a music subsciption service where you usually pay a monthly fee (roughly $12-$15) and have unlimited access in most cases to the site's complete library of music of millions of songs. You might want to think of how many songs a month you download, figure $1 a song at a pay site, and see which would save you money in the long run.

If you are seriously interested in a download site or service, feel free to check out my site where I compare legal music download sites with complete reviews (including Amazon which was mentioned above), a comparison chart, you name it:

www.comparemusicdownloadsites.com

To save you time though, if a music subscription srvice interests you, you can check out Rhapsody. These guys are at the top of our list, followed by eMusic and then Napster which took a huge turn since the Metallica days and really have a great service going right now.

All the best!

roduke41:
 :( Hi you all & Happy Holidays!

I have bveen gifted a miniatrure sized MP3 which I suppose is usual. Have no idea how to record (classical) music, nor are there any instructions.

Will be obliged if you can direct me to a site that will explain the process of copying from my desktop to it.  Thank you.  RO

tomos:
going back to basics

how do you all tend to name music files - I mean the file itself -
I can see that this could depend on how you're going to organise them -
so far I have a bunch of single (individual) tracks but I want to start ripping albums
Albums organisation and file naming I guess could be:-
Artist / Album / # TrackName.mp3

but I can see advantages to naming files:-
Artist - Album - # TrackName.mp3
e.g.
Bob Dylan - The Bootleg Series Vol. 7 - 2-11 Ballad of a Thin Man.mp3
(which makes for a very long file name - I'd probably remove the period too)

I realise that tagging is probably more important but thought I'd ask in case and "before it's too late" ...
Had a look at this thread but got a headache lol
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/919861.html  *

and then to complicate things there's Armando's thread about File Names : what should be avoided but I wouldnt lose any sleep about having spaces or hyphens in names

* [edit] from there, this sound good:
where possible, I use this

E:\Artist\yyyy - Album\Artist - Album - ## - Title.mp3

bootlegs, where possible
E:\Artist\yyyy-mm-dd - Venue\Artist - yyyy-mm-dd - Venue - ## - Title.mp3
-
a follow on question would be:
if I organise / correct the tags first is there a renamer (preferably free/donation-ware) that could rename using the tags info ? (Curt mentions File Renamer Turbo here Why was I recommended Screamer Radio? but that's about 20$)

roduke41:
Gosh, Tomos, your "Going Back to Basics" as relates to NAMING MUSIC FILES & follow-on question all very interesting (and far beyond my competence), but what does it have to do with my posting?

I'm simply trying to move some hopefully-free classsical music from a website to the USB-connected MP3. With your expertise I'm sure you can tell me exactly what to do, but your Reply 7 certainly doesn't do it!

tomos:
Gosh, Tomos, your "Going Back to Basics" as relates to NAMING MUSIC FILES & follow-on question all very interesting (and far beyond my competence), but what does it have to do with my posting?
-roduke41 (February 08, 2009, 09:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

LOL, Roduke, answer is "nothing"
I'm about as knowledgeable as you - as the original poster in this thread I was following up on my earlier questions.

you say
> I'm simply trying to move some hopefully-free classsical music from a website to the USB-connected MP3.
-
well first you'll have to save the music to your harddrive - if you have trouble doing that you could name the website and I (or someone else) could have a look.
In order to get more of a response, I reckon you will need to give more details as to what exactly you want to do, maybe what mp3 player you got (I'm presuming it's an mp3 player you mean), - did your player come with software - have you installed that or any other music related software, and anything else you might think relevant.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version