ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

wanted: a fix for ubuntu problem/new linux distro

<< < (2/2)

nite_monkey:
If you intend to dual-boot the machine and it has Windows on it already, I highly recommend Wubi. It's 1 MB and it downloads and installs Ubuntu from within Windows. I'm a total linux noob too, but I just installed Ubuntu today with Wubi and it worked fantastically. It also allows you to uninstall Ubuntu from Add/Remove Programs in Windows. It's a great utility for Windows users who are total noobs to linux. :Thmbsup:

Just for reference, I recently started a thread about Fedora 9 in which I ultimately chose to go with Ubuntu, and Wubi was how I did it.
-Deozaan (January 25, 2009, 01:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

oh yeah, I forgot about wubi. I didn't want to dual boot linux though, so I have an old 80gb drive that I have in my computer, and I just unplug my other drives and have only that drive plugged in. I'm going to check the md5 on my images and see what I come up with.

edit: md5 is the same for the images.
I'm downloading opensuse right now. I'll see what it does.
If I can't get it to install then currently the only linux I will have on my computer is the splashtop that is built into my asus motherboard

nite_monkey:
I just thought of something.
I'm using a Memorex cd-rw disc, that wouldn't have anything to do with corrupt installs would it?
I will soon find out, because I am burning opensuse right now.

edit: well opensuse(net install) just stops about half way through the loading process, and debian (net isntall) wont detect all my hardware. I guess I will just have to use wubi, and leave windows 7 on my other drive.

40hz:
Edit: Btw 40hz, how would you rate Gentoo's documentation to SUSE and Fedora? Superior or inferior. I generally hear that Gentoo has more and easier to find free documentations.
-Paul Keith (January 25, 2009, 02:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wouldn't really know since I don't do much with Gentoo any more. What Gentoo documentation I have seen is very detailed and quite good.

From various forum posts, I think our resident Gentoo expert is f0dder. How about it f0dder? Can you help Paul out with this one?

Beyond Gentoo:

Fedora/Suse documentation = meh unless you spring for a 3rd party book. The Sams Unleashed series are pretty good for general reading if you go that route.

A more technical intro is A Practical Guide to Redhat Linux by Mark G. Sobell. This book also covers Fedora and RHEL.

And of course there's also the O'Reilly Books for when you get beyond beginner, or are looking for more focused information. Their Apache, Sendmail, and Samba titles are still the standards. Check out the Hacks series for good quick & dirty reference books on the various distros. Ubuntu Hacks solves 90% of the problems you'll run into when you first get started with Ubuntu.

Best book for NIX bar none is the 1040-page Linux Administration Handbook by Nemeth, Snyder, & Hein. Now in it's second edition, this is the book for when you want to really know what you're doing. Techy, solid, and dense, but still remarkably readable material. An excellent book for your second year with Linux. Beg, borrow, buy or steal a copy of this book.

8)

Edvard:
I just thought of something.
I'm using a Memorex cd-rw disc, that wouldn't have anything to do with corrupt installs would it?
-nite_monkey (January 25, 2009, 03:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have had mixed luck with CD-RW burns. Sometimes it's fine, sometimes not. Most often it's not, so I would recommend getting a proper CD-R.
I would also second 40hz's advice as I have seen that same thing happen to others across many forums and a slower burn fixed it right up.

@Paul Keith: On more than one occasion, I have found solutions to obscure problems on the Gentoo wiki and nowhere else.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version