ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Vista suffering from FUD?

<< < (2/7) > >>

timns:
ely, and I have to reboot  :D

Stoic Joker:
I'm running Vista x86 here at the office on a Dell Dimension E521 Athlon X2 Dual Core 3800+ with 2GB of ram. I keep between 2 & 7 RDP desktops, and 1 or 2 VMs running at all times (part of what I do...).

During an average day I will also have MSVS, Adobe PhotoShop, MS Outlook/Word/Excel/Access open all at the same time, and upwards of 50+ browser windows/tabs open in the process of researching one of the miriad of things I'm asked on any given day.

I have never had any issues while doing this...outside of the occasional minor lagg which is quite understandable given the load I put on the machine.

My Vista x64 machine at home is (much faster then the office machine) constantly under very (read insanely...) heavy loads, and also never misses a beat.

Neither machine is rebooted more than once a month, and both have run upwards of 6 months without a reboot flawlessly.

Granted one is custom built & both are custom loaded...but that only goes to prove that half of the "Bad Press" that Vista has gotten is due to idiots like HP that love to gadget & garbage up a machine to "Add Value" (BS...) to a machine before foisting it on a poor (unsuspecting) consumer.

That and Symantec needs to line up the NIS team in front of a firing squad, and then never do that again. Christ What Were They Thinking?!?!

Edvard:
Honestly, I don't think that blog post acomplishes anything other providing more pointers (and thus contributing) to the mentioned vista FUD. (but I guess that was the whole idea, right?)
Also, anyone who has as moto "Microsoft can go format themselves" obviously doesn't really have an idea of how the world works.
--- End quote ---

jgpaiva, I agree that his tagline is definitely anti-Microsoft but to be fair, I have seen much worse (>don't click here!!<), and I doubt that the writer in any way thinks that Microsoft will go slink under a rock anytime soon.

I don't think his points are actually adding to the FUD, but simply pointing out that Linux doesn't have a corner market on it. The tactic known as FUD is deceptive and inflammatory in any context and his perception is that maybe Vista isn't as bad as the headlines make it out to be, due to the nature of the attacks against it.
I tend to agree, and If I ever acquired a 64-bit box I wouldn't be averse to having Vista on it. That I install myself from a physical install disk, of course.

I'm not asking for a comparison to Linux or even to previous versions of Windows.
My question was because, although I won't be using in a personal capacity anytime soon, I'm curious as to whether the Vista experience is (at this point) Microsoft 'business as usual' (install, pull hair out, update drivers, download service pack, grow hair back) and if all the bad press is mostly hot air, or if Microsoft really did drop a stinker, which I am beginning to doubt.

Thanks Stoic Joker, that's exactly the kind of report I was hoping for...

jgpaiva:
Granted one is custom built & both are custom loaded...but that only goes to prove that half of the "Bad Press" that Vista has gotten is due to idiots like HP that love to gadget & garbage up a machine to "Add Value" (BS...) to a machine before foisting it on a poor (unsuspecting) consumer.
-Stoic Joker (September 05, 2008, 01:49 PM)
--- End quote ---
Agreed. My dad bought a hp tablet which came loaded with the usual crap. But this specific crap was so anoying that when it tried to save the addresses entered in IE7 (I REALLY can't understand why they'd want to do that), UAC would come up saying that the hp software was performing a dangerous action, etc etc.

mwang:
Honestly, I've been running Vista64 for quite some time now, and I haven't had any of the multiple problems I've seen reported everywhere with XP64.-jgpaiva (September 05, 2008, 12:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

I envy you, then. I tried Vista64 soon after it's available to me (i.e., as soon as my school got the site license), but removed it immediately when I learned my Chinese IME didn't work on Vista, 64 or 32 alike. Without it, I can't type Chinese. Before I realized that, some other programs I used didn't work on Vista 64, either.

Now I'm using Vista 32. (The Chinese IME works with Vista 32 now, but still not for 64.) I like it better than XP in general, when it works. But I still hate it when it doesn't work -- when it suddenly decides I'm using an illegal copy and locks me out. (It happened twice here.)

So, I'm going Linux the next time I have a free week to make the switch.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version