ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

looking for...a wiki?

<< < (5/6) > >>

phillfri:
this is pretty trivial but I have an idea I've been kicking around for a couple of days and I need some guidance...

we recently moved office and the new site doesn't have any white boards - that could be a good thing, but it doesn't leave us anywhere to note our teams whereabouts (planned leave, meetings, etc)

I was thinking along the lines of a 'web' page that could sit on one the local machines and provide the same basic function, ie a simple table where we can add a name, and details of upcoming events/absences (see the attached HTML example).  It shouldn't be static, rather users should be able to edit or update their respective entries

It seems to me that a wiki would do exactly what I want, but I've never really gotten into them (love the idea, just can't quite grasp the reality) so I have no idea whether or not there's something out there that might fit (from literally thousands :o)

any ideas?

EDIT - 04Sep 11:20 added the attachment i forgot to add (DOH!!)

-Target (September 03, 2008, 07:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

There's only one answer for you if you want to minimize your efforts and maximize ease of use: Deki Wiki. Can be run as a virtual VMware machine on Windows XP/Vista. VMware server is now free for commercial use (I wouldn't use the V2 yet, stick with V1.07). The basic Deki Wiki is also free. It took me about 15 minutes to install a test system at work. You'll love how easy this one is too work with.

You can get VMware server here: VMware Server
You can download the VM for Deki Wiki here: Deki Wiki  Use the red "Download VMware" button to download.

Install VMware server first then the Deki Wiki VM.

It may look a bit daunting, but all the fancy things they show on the web site demos is where you can go with this wiki if you want to. It also functions out of the box like a straight old-fashioned wiki application, with a way better than average end user interface.

Deki Wiki has a helpful community forum also. Have fun.

40hz:
Take a look at these collaboration suites:

Mindquarry at www.mindquarry.com/do

Kablink at www.kablink.org

Neither are toys, but any moderately competent IT type should be able to get things up and running fairly easily. Might be overkill for what you want to do.

If you're running Microsoft Small Business Server you can always take advantage of the SharePoint features.

For a low-tech approach, you could just use Post-it Notes. Find a stickable surface (a glass window in the conference area is one possibility) that can be divided into organizational and functional areas and have at it!

Note: if you ever do get a whiteboard, try using it in conjunction with Post-Its. Stuff you may want to rearrange goes on the Post-It. Use the markers to draw lines and grouping boxes around individual Post-Its to show relationships, etc. Best of both worlds when you do it that way!

Target:
still here, and impressed with the responses, however most of them seem like major overkill...

to further clarify this, there is no requirement for a collaborative type tool

we are (locally) a very small group (4 staff) that, while functionally part of the same team, all work independently and report to management interstate.  The intention here was not for a time or attendance tracking tool, rather for a simple FYI type arrangement so that we have some visibility of each others movements.

Also, operating inside a corporate LAN precludes installing a lot of software (client/server apps, databases, etc).

I've been playing around with a TiddlyWiki and have modified my original layout from a set of defined fields for each user to a single tiddler for each user which seems like an acceptable solution - yet to be put to the test though

SQL notes sounds like an interesting alternative (I've looked at this one before, albeit sometime ago, and not in this context), though again, it may be overkill.

PPLandry:
The intention here was not for a time or attendance tracking tool, rather for a simple FYI type arrangement so that we have some visibility of each others movements.
-Target (September 14, 2008, 06:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Seems to me something as simple shared Google Calendars (one per worker) should do then, or for that matter, a simple text, word or excel file, put on the LAN.

As for using SQLNotes (now portable so compatible with Corporate IT rules), it will definitely do much more... But what is your definition of an overkill? An app that does much more, if nevertheless fast loading, simply gives you more room for expanding  :Thmbsup:

I can certainly provide a simple template for such a setup, if you want...

Armando:
There's a new web app in beta that might do what you're looking for : http://wiggio.com/

Welcome to Wiggio!

Wiggio is a totally free, online toolkit that makes it easy to work in groups.

As seniors at Cornell, we started wiggio out of our own frustrations with unnecessarily clogged inboxes, using five different websites for five different functions, and all the other hassles associated with working in groups. We were tired of sending eleven emails back and forth just to set a meeting time. We were tired of that guy who just never knows where and when to be there. We were tired of list-servs, contact lists, phone-chains and incompatibilities. We wanted everything to be in one place, and we wanted it simple. So we created wiggio.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version