ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Easy remote access to my home pc?

<< < (9/9)

4wd:
All I have is Windows XP Firewall and a D-Link DI-624 Router. You already saw the configuration for my router. Remote Desktop Connection has an exception in the XP Firewall.
-Deozaan (October 11, 2008, 06:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Apart from what city_zen just mentioned above, some other things:

According to the manual for the DI-624, it has a Firewall and IP filtering.  Are either of these enabled?

If it is, then temporarily disable it and see what happens.  Note, some routers actually require a restart before they pick up new settings.

Some other things to try:

1) Temporarily put the LAN IP for your RDP host into the DI-624's DMZ.  This will bypass any rules in the router and expose the PC to the internet - make sure your software firewall is turned on.  If it works then, the problem is definitely the router blocking something.

2) Try using the WAN IP and not the DynDNS service - when it all works go back to DynDNS.

3) Use the PrtQuery command as mentioned on the page in city_zen's post above.

4) Here's an interesting thread from 2005 about someone trying to get the DI-624 to do RDP.  Take note of the last post on the page.

5) Buy a decent router :P   really, from what I've read of it so far, I hope you got it free  :(

Latest firmware for D-Link stuff can usually be found here: D-Link Support - it's in German but there's a Google translate button on the left.  For specifically the DI-624.

Deozaan:
One more idea: did you check that the scope of the Windows Xp Firewall exception is "Any computer (including those on the Internet)" instead of "My network (subnet) only"?
-city_zen (October 11, 2008, 10:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Just checked. Scope is set to Any/All.

According to the manual for the DI-624, it has a Firewall and IP filtering.  Are either of these enabled?

If it is, then temporarily disable it and see what happens.  Note, some routers actually require a restart before they pick up new settings.
-4wd (October 11, 2008, 10:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

There's not really an option to disable router firewall that I can see, but I added the host's i.p. to DMZ and no luck.

Some other things to try:

1) Temporarily put the LAN IP for your RDP host into the DI-624's DMZ.  This will bypass any rules in the router and expose the PC to the internet - make sure your software firewall is turned on.  If it works then, the problem is definitely the router blocking something.
--- End quote ---

See above.

2) Try using the WAN IP and not the DynDNS service - when it all works go back to DynDNS.
--- End quote ---

I'm getting the same problem.

--- End quote ---

I didn't understand from that website how to access the Port Query. Does that come with Windows or do I have to download it separately?

But I did follow the link to http://www.canyouseeme.org/ and tested out a few ports. It seems that the only one that was open was port 80. I'm beginning to suspect these problems have more to do with the ISP or the school setting up filters, since I'm using University-provided internet.

4) Here's an interesting thread from 2005 about someone trying to get the DI-624 to do RDP.  Take note of the last post on the page.
--- End quote ---

I followed the advice on the last post on that page and forwarded port 80 to 3389 and it didn't connect. But it also didn't refuse the connection either. Well, eventually it times out, but that's after 5 minutes or so. Of course, typing in the WAN IP with port 80 in my browser asks for a user name and password for some system that is NOT in my network. Again, this is what makes me think this is school filtering stuff.

5) Buy a decent router :P   really, from what I've read of it so far, I hope you got it free  :(
--- End quote ---

I've regretted buying D-Link almost from the day I got it. I bought this router along with a D-Link Wireless PCI card for my computer in 2005, thinking that two products from the same company should be compatible with eachother. Well, somehow the router was causing the PCI card to blue screen my system. I could connect to other wireless routers without a problem, but my D-Link NIC connected to my D-Link Router made my PC bluescreen.

And D-Link tech support sucked, suggesting it was some sort of IRQ conflict and telling me to take my PC to a local technician to make sure. I couldn't believe it! The guy didn't even try any troubleshooting steps. I just told him that it was making my PC blue screen and he came to that stupid IRQ conclusion and told me to pay a local technician to have it taken care of.

Not only that, but the router kept resetting about every 10 minutes on the dot which made it impossible to download large files! Thankfully a firmware update and changing some settings fixed that problem. Although, it still resets every 20 minutes when I've got uTorrent open. :-(

Latest firmware for D-Link stuff can usually be found here: D-Link Support - it's in German but there's a Google translate button on the left.  For specifically the DI-624.
--- End quote ---

I'm pretty sure I've downloaded the latest DI-624 firmware to fix the above mentioned problems.

I think all in all, I'm going to have to blame this one on the school or the ISP blocking the ports.

Thanks for the help everyone!

4wd:
--- End quote ---

I didn't understand from that website how to access the Port Query. Does that come with Windows or do I have to download it separately?-Deozaan (October 11, 2008, 11:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Download from here.

But I did follow the link to http://www.canyouseeme.org/ and tested out a few ports. It seems that the only one that was open was port 80. I'm beginning to suspect these problems have more to do with the ISP or the school setting up filters, since I'm using University-provided internet.

--- End quote ---

I followed the advice on the last post on that page and forwarded port 80 to 3389 and it didn't connect. But it also didn't refuse the connection either. Well, eventually it times out, but that's after 5 minutes or so. Of course, typing in the WAN IP with port 80 in my browser asks for a user name and password for some system that is NOT in my network. Again, this is what makes me think this is school filtering stuff.
--- End quote ---

I forgot to mention, by default your router usually grabs port 80 so you can access its interface.  This is why I changed my router port far away from port 80, in case I wanted to run a web server and also to make it a little bit harder to remote access it - they have to find it's port first, (even if remote config was allowed, which it isn't).

If you can, change your router's web interface port to something else, (eg. 5000), and then set the Virtual Server for your RDP host so that the incoming Public port is 80 and the Private port is 3389 and then try accessing using both your WAN IP and DynDNS address.

I've regretted buying D-Link almost from the day I got it. I bought this router along with a D-Link Wireless PCI card for my computer in 2005, thinking that two products from the same company should be compatible with eachother. Well, somehow the router was causing the PCI card to blue screen my system. I could connect to other wireless routers without a problem, but my D-Link NIC connected to my D-Link Router made my PC bluescreen.
--- End quote ---

I use one of these and the only problem I have with it is that it runs a bit warm underneath which makes it spontaneously reboot when it gets too hot, usually only in warm/hot weather every few days or so and is easily fixed by sitting it on something so that there is a ~25mm air gap underneath.

Not only that, but the router kept resetting about every 10 minutes on the dot which made it impossible to download large files! Thankfully a firmware update and changing some settings fixed that problem. Although, it still resets every 20 minutes when I've got uTorrent open. :-(
--- End quote ---

The Zyxel also did this until they fixed it with a firmware update.  It was related to the size of the NAT Session Table, originally 1024 IIRC.  BitTorrent tended to max this out pretty quick, under an hour.  A later firmware increased this a little bit to approx. 5000 NAT sessions before the table becomes full.  That pretty much solved the problem.

The problem can be reduced by:
a) Reduce the number of connections in BT
b) Decrease the NAT time out period, ie. those connections are free'd up quicker.
c) Don't use BT
d) OR buy a new modem with are larger NAT table

If you check this link, (search for DI-624, second occurrence), you'll see that the DI-624 is not capable of more than about 200 connections.  So setting uTorrent to use 200 or less connections should enable it to last more than 20 mins.

I think all in all, I'm going to have to blame this one on the school or the ISP blocking the ports.
--- End quote ---

If you can work out what ports they allow, (HTTP, FTP, SMTP, NNTP, etc), then you can set up tunneling to bypass the port blocking.

brahman:
You have been answering to a 4 year old thread!

Dyndns is afaik no longer free. Teamviewer rules.

Jibz:
LogMeIn is apparently shutting down the free service as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version