ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Easy remote access to my home pc?

<< < (7/9) > >>

f0dder:
You need to make sure the port isn't blocked by a firewall, you need to make sure the service is started (and iirc, you can only RDP to XP Pro setups, not home), and somewhere in System Properties you also need to tick a checkbox allowing remote desktop sessions.

skiracer:

i use logmein all the time.  i have the free version so am limited to what that provides.  i have a home office and two other field offices on construction sites at locations in different parts of the state.  the only shortcoming is that the other computers have to be up and running to log on to them so i find myself leaving the three computers running all the time so that i can access info from each if i need it at any time during the day or evening when working at home.  It is a very good system and being free makes it that much more inviting. i would be interested to know of other systems that are out there if anyone else knows of any that are comparable to logmein.

Deozaan:
You need to make sure the port isn't blocked by a firewall, you need to make sure the service is started (and iirc, you can only RDP to XP Pro setups, not home), and somewhere in System Properties you also need to tick a checkbox allowing remote desktop sessions.
-f0dder (October 07, 2008, 05:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

I can connect via LAN, so I think I've done all that. And I do have XP Pro. But for some reason when I'm trying to access from outside my LAN, it's a no go.

compn:
Thanks 4wd! One more question:
How would I know the IP of the server PC?
-Deozaan (September 15, 2008, 11:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

tell the other computer person to go to:
http://www.whatismyip.com

city_zen:
I can connect via LAN, so I think I've done all that. And I do have XP Pro. But for some reason when I'm trying to access from outside my LAN, it's a no go.
-Deozaan (October 09, 2008, 02:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

My guess is that you haven't configured your router to forward outside connections on port 3389 to your PC's internal IP. That'd be step 3 of 4wd's list:

3) Ensure that port 3389 is able to get through any firewall/router on both PCs and that if you use NAT that port 3389 is forwarded to the server PC.
-4wd (September 15, 2008, 07:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

The way to do that depends on each router's settings screen, but it's usually under "Port forwarding", "Virtual Servers" or the like.
My advice would be to choose a random port (for example 48379) for external connections and then tell the router to forward incoming connections on that port (48379) to port 3389 of your PC's internal IP (which probably looks like 192.168.x.x). The way to connect to your PC from outside (=what you have to type in the RDC dialog box) would then be: deozaan.dyndns.org:48379 (I'm assuming you chose DynDNS as dynamic IP service and "deozaan" as username, change accordingly with your real data)

I hope I didn't confuse you further  :-[  :P

Let us know if that solves it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version