ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Easy remote access to my home pc?

<< < (5/9) > >>

Deozaan:
So can someone give a quick and easy tutorial on how to set up Remote Desktop from within XP Pro and how to access it from another computer?

4wd:
So can someone give a quick and easy tutorial on how to set up Remote Desktop from within XP Pro and how to access it from another computer?
-Deozaan (September 15, 2008, 12:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

1) On the PC that you want to control, (henceforth called the "server"), create an administrator account and give it a password.
2) On the server, My Computer->Properties->Remote->Tick "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer" under Remote Desktop, then OK out.
3) Ensure that port 3389 is able to get through any firewall/router on both PCs and that if you use NAT that port 3389 is forwarded to the server PC.
4) On a client PC, Start->Accessories->Remote Desktop Connection and type in the IP of the server PC.
5) If everything is forwarded OK and is able to get through your firewalls then you'll get a window/screen open where you input the user/password you specified in step 1.

You might not need to actually create a admin account on the server, a normal user account will probably suffice as long as you don't want to do anything that requires admin privileges.

You can fine tune your Remote Desktop connection by clicking the Option button when you run Remote Desktop Connection.

You can also access the server PC through a web browser, (ala VNC), if you enable Remote Desktop Web Connection.

Edited for clarity.

mediaguycouk:
Has anyone noticed that the Live Mesh beta from Microsoft allows VNC style access to the desktop?

I use it to occasionally sync my firefox profile between home and work but haven't actually kept the home computer on to try out the remote desktop.

However it's free, and you know how good microsoft are at using their own code to make these things faster and better (at the expense of fair play...)

Deozaan:
Thanks 4wd! One more question:

4) On a client PC, Start->Accessories->Remote Desktop Connection and type in the IP of the server PC.
-4wd (September 15, 2008, 07:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

How would I know the IP of the server PC?

mediaguycouk:
If you don't have a static IP with your Internet Provider then you can create a dynamic hostname (one that keeps track of your dynamic IP address) through dyndns.org

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version