ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Easy remote access to my home pc?

<< < (8/9) > >>

Deozaan:
My guess is that you haven't configured your router to forward outside connections on port 3389 to your PC's internal IP. That'd be step 3 of 4wd's list:
-city_zen (October 10, 2008, 10:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've done that, too.

This is how I'm trying to connect and the error message I get:

Easy remote access to my home pc?

4wd:
My guess is that you haven't configured your router to forward outside connections on port 3389 to your PC's internal IP. That'd be step 3 of 4wd's list:
--- End quote ---

I've done that, too.
-Deozaan (October 10, 2008, 03:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

We need a bit more info about your network setup:

What modem/router/hubs/etc, how is it all setup?

If you're running a firewall on the server/host PC, is it configured correctly ?
(I know you said it works from LAN but your rules may be allowing blanket LAN access while still restricting net access.)

Your modem/router, does it have a firewall, (as well as NAT)?
Is it turned on?
Have you created a rule to allow RDP to pass through the firewall?
(My Zyxel has a SPI firewall, so I need to create a rule to allow RDP before it even gets to NAT routing.)

Any firewalls you are running should have a log, (blocked/allowed/attacks/etc), set the firewalls up to report everything then try accessing via RDP.

If you don't get an ACCESS log entry in your software firewall, it will most likely be failing to get through your modem/router.  If you have an ACCESS log entry for the modem/router but none for the software firewall then it's failed at NAT.

Another tip, quite a few modem/routers allow IP loopback, (some you can set from the WWW interface, some from telnet, eg. Zyxel), by turning it on it allows you to use the WAN IP to access LAN servers/hosts from within the LAN.

eg. You already know RDP works from another LAN PC by connecting to 192.168.x.x.

By turning IP loopback on, you'd also be able to use your WAN IP, eg. 86.67.234.33.   The modem/router seeing this is your WAN IP will just loop it straight back into your LAN without sending upstream to your ISP.  It's a good way to test your server/host programs, I leave it enabled all the time.

This will allow you to test your modem/router firewall/NAT without being dependent on any outside routers/dns/etc.

city_zen:
--- End quote ---
I've done that, too.
-Deozaan (October 10, 2008, 03:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yup, sorry, I hadn't seen that you'd mentioned it already.

This page has a few additional tips about troubleshooting Remote Desktop Connection problems

Deozaan:
We need a bit more info about your network setup:

What modem/router/hubs/etc, how is it all setup?
-4wd (October 10, 2008, 05:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

All I have is Windows XP Firewall and a D-Link DI-624 Router. You already saw the configuration for my router. Remote Desktop Connection has an exception in the XP Firewall.

city_zen:
Remote Desktop Connection has an exception in the XP Firewall.
-Deozaan (October 11, 2008, 06:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

One more idea: did you check that the scope of the Windows Xp Firewall exception is "Any computer (including those on the Internet)" instead of "My network (subnet) only"?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version