ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

AntiVirus with decent anti-spyware (realtime) detection

<< < (4/9) > >>

Darwin:
So... I'm on the hunt for a light, effective AV and AS solution for Win2k. I like VIPRE, but the updates take FOREVER, very disturbing. I'm still considering it, but would like some alternative suggestions, if anyone has an opinion they'd care to share...

So far as I can tell, the choices are limited (VIPRE, ESET, Spyware Terminator - free and comes with ClamAV, but how effective is it??)...

Darwin:
Josh - how do you find VIPRE's updating behaviour? The connection to the server keeps getting dropped and I have to keep re-trying. It's very trying... if you follow!

This is the main issue causing me to look elsewhere. Otherwise I find VIPRE to be very good under Win2k.

Grorgy:
Well, I'm using ESET smart security, I am 'immunized' by spybot S&D which I also sometimes run as an on demand scanner, and have the free editions of super antispyware and malwarebytes which I also sometimes run as an on demand scan.  And even more occasionally i will run an antirootkit finder.  So far, and to me this is the test that is most useful, only 1 minor spyware infection i think, i ran all those spyware things and its gone and never reappeared.  I really like the idea of Threatfire, but it seems to slow up the boot time a lot and also seems to stop other programs starting properly, missing icons in system tray that sort of thing, so I don't bother with it, more trouble than it is worth to me.  Touch wood, (Taps self on head)

Edit, ESET here in Australia do a 50% student discount so could be worth a look if you decide on it

Darwin:
Hmm... thanks, Grorgy. How's the "impact" on your system with it running in the background, though?

Grorgy:
Once it was all running it seemed ok, though the little laptop does seem a tad perkier without but it might be more of a perception thing than a real thing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version