ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Google Chrome -- key reasons for its debut

<< < (12/13) > >>

urlwolf:
Just did a quick benchmark with memory usage.
If you open task manager, you'll see as many chrome.exe processes as you have tabs + 1. Adding that memory is quite worrying, actually.

With a few tabs open, I got:
35 + 10 + 6 + 26 + 19 + 8 + 34 + 65 = 203 Mb. quite a lot, doble than Opera with the same tabs open.

These things I really miss from Opera:
Smooth scroll
Fit to width
M2
intellicomplete working

So I'm sticking to the broken, but trusty, Opera for now.

justice:
Couldn't resist when i saw this on the blog (in reply to the osnews article):
"Considered Harmful" Essays Considered Harmful
"Considered harmful" essays are not only a sad cliché at this stage of the game, they are counter-productive to reasoned debate and most often do far more harm than good to whatever cause they promote. It would therefore seem obvious that the only intelligent course of action is to abandon their use entirely, and instead look to more constructive forms of essay writing in the support of debate positions.
--- End quote ---
:eusa_naughty:

tomos:
Couldn't resist when i saw this on the blog (in reply to the osnews article):
"Considered Harmful" Essays Considered Harmful
-justice (September 05, 2008, 03:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

There are those cases where such essays are written because the author enjoys grandstanding, and knows that use of the "considered harmful" format will get them noticed. A piece of this type is usually so over the top that it is easy to spot. For example, a piece titled "'Considered Harmful' Essays Considered Harmful" would very likely be a case of using the "considered harmful" format to draw attention for its own sake. We will ignore such essays in this commentary. -
    ;D ;D ;D
thanks justice :Thmbsup:

mouser:
OSNews has a long article about Chrome and the marketplace out today.. I have to say whether you agree with OSNews or not, they've lately been generating a nice amount of original thoughtful writing.. Very nice to have a different take on stuff beyond the normal bullshit technology press-report regurgitating journalists out there.

http://www.osnews.com/story/20270/There_s_More_Than_a_Browser_War

f0dder:
I don't always agree with osnews, but I definitely find it a valuable resource, with (usually) pretty well-written stuff. I think I originally stumbled upon it from a link here at DC, and I've had the rss feed in website watcher ever since.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version