ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google lovers, Chrome adapters- Google Chrome`s meticulous caring privacy policy

<< < (4/4)

kartal:
From that blog post, things sounds quite reasonable.

If there aren't other "privacy issues" than that, and there aren't going to be, then imho there's nothing to fuzz about. And since it's opensores, people can keep watch... but oh yeah, <tinfoilhat>google could do different builds than from the publicly available source</tinfoilhat>
-f0dder (September 04, 2008, 04:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Very true. The tinfoil hat wearing side of me is adopting a wait and see approach - just being prudent. I just want to give Google time to clean up the EULA and smarter people than me time to determine what is, or what is not, being done with the data that Google may or may not be mining...
-Darwin (September 04, 2008, 04:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Were you able to decide on what to do with Google? Now that the time of the benefit of doubt is over regarding the latest guardian releases.

Darwin:
From that blog post, things sounds quite reasonable.

If there aren't other "privacy issues" than that, and there aren't going to be, then imho there's nothing to fuzz about. And since it's opensores, people can keep watch... but oh yeah, <tinfoilhat>google could do different builds than from the publicly available source</tinfoilhat>
-f0dder (September 04, 2008, 04:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Very true. The tinfoil hat wearing side of me is adopting a wait and see approach - just being prudent. I just want to give Google time to clean up the EULA and smarter people than me time to determine what is, or what is not, being done with the data that Google may or may not be mining...
-Darwin (September 04, 2008, 04:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Were you able to decide on what to do with Google? Now that the time of the benefit of doubt is over regarding the latest guardian releases.

-kartal (October 10, 2013, 07:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Chrome hasn't been anywhere near my computers since 2008. I've been happy with IE8,9,10, and now 11 long ago lost interest in keeping up with developments in other browsers. Now, the wisdom of doing this is probably open for debate, but I don't do much more than read forums about software and wristwatches and have an up to date AV, so figure that I'm as safe as I can be.

TaoPhoenix:

Sorry this is slightly tangential, but it's in the "privacy" arena.

"Element Hiding Helper for Adblock" is interesting. Because sometimes the developers keep "simple names" to their functions, aka good "internal coding", but then it's also in our favor that it's not obfuscated.

So I just found "http://bits.wikimedia.org/geoiplookup" on Wikipedia.

That's right... and surely it's symbolic of tons of other less "reputable" pages. So there's cold hard proof cousin to those "Hi! Hot Dates are in Your_Area"! Ads.

In a way that it's on Wikipedia, it's the sad symbol that "Free" frequently means "priced with non-cash intangibles".

4wd:
So I just found "http://bits.wikimedia.org/geoiplookup" on Wikipedia.-TaoPhoenix (October 14, 2013, 06:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

Impressive, it's within 400m of where I am - most usually only get to the ISP's interconnect which is ~30km away.

Switching to 3G puts me in the middle of Melbourne, ~50km away.

I wonder what info is being requested/sent that whoever WikiMedia are using, (possibly MaxMind), is able to narrow it down to the suburb rather than the ISP's presence.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version