ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

List of newbie questions regarding software

<< < (7/23) > >>

Paul Keith:
Oh, I see. Good point. I guess I hate them because it can be a pain for consumers to choose especially when no one knows what to look for and am short in cash. Take MP3 players for example. Those gave me a headache because early on I was just given a player as a gift and I had little liking to music but then I had to stick my nose where it doesn't belong and I went down hell just trying to become an audiophile after I found out that the "sound" can be better based on the format but that there were even these things called lossless formats and there was an app called Rockbox and then there were customized music stations like Pandora and Last.fm. That whole ordeal led me to wearing a tinfoil hat on hardware ever since. It was so bad to this day, I have nightmares adding any hardware into my life other than ones that sell bare bones right to the point features and even those nowadays have some little quirk that separate them from each other. 

40hz:
re: Voice Recorder

What does a USB output port do? I tried Googling but the images don't ring a bell.

--- End quote ---

Sorry. The USB cable works in conjunction with the supplied Digital Voice Editor software. It allows you to archive and organize your voice notes. (It does not do voice recognition.)

From Sony:
Overview of Digital Voice Editor Version 3.1 functions:

* Saving and adding recorded messages:
         1. Save messages recorded by the IC recorder onto your computer hard disk by messages or by folders.
         2. Add messages from the computer to the IC recorder.
    * Editing recorded messages:
         1. Divide a message into two messages or combine up to five messages into one.
    * Converting file formats:
         1. Convert the file format of a message saved in the computer and save it as a new file.
         2. Convert a message recorded by the IC recorder into an MP3 file.
    * CD burning function (CD Burning Tool for DVE):
         1. Add messages from the Digital Voice Editor or Windows Explorer window to the CD Burning Tool for DVE window, and then burn the data to a CD-R/RW as an audio or data CD.
    * CD recording function (CD Recording Tool for DVE):
         1. Convert a CD track into a file format compatible with the Digital Voice Editor software and then save the converted file on a computer hard disk.

--- End quote ---

One thing I also use my Sony VR for is to test the sound and flow of dialog. I try to have someone read any dialog I've written. In a pinch, I'll do it myself. Amazing how something that looks so good on a page sometimes sounds so awful when you hear it read back to you.

I have found this is especially useful if I can get my friend Alexis to read back sections of dialog or narrative belonging to a female character. Men and women seem to use language differently. It's hard to define exactly how. But most women can spot when a guy is putting words in a female character's mouth. Hearing a character speak in the appropriate gender's voice helps me catch a lot of subtle differences and improve my characters verisimilitude. Robert Heinlein seems to annoy a lot of women with his dialog. I've often heard women say, "All his women sound like men - no woman would ever talk like that." after reading a Heinlein story.

Considering the number of women I've met who don't enjoy Heinlein's female characters - and the number of guys who do  - there just might be something to this. ;D

superboyac:
Whoa mama!  I just saw this thread.  You are crazy Paul!  I'm going to have to set aside some time in my schedule to read this thing.

Seriously, though.  I like your ambition.  But a lot of this stuff is around the forums here somewhere.  It's easier to deal with this (at least in forums) if you break it down as much as possible and address one issue at a time.  But there's always a time and place for large general threads also, so whatever.  I'm one to talk, I've started two enormous threads here myself!

Paul Keith:
One thing I also use my Sony VR for is to test the sound and flow of dialog. I try to have someone read any dialog I've written. In a pinch, I'll do it myself. Amazing how something that looks so good on a page sometimes sounds so awful when you hear it read back to you.

I have found this is especially useful if I can get my friend Alexis to read back sections of dialog or narrative belonging to a female character. Men and women seem to use language differently. It's hard to define exactly how. But most women can spot when a guy is putting words in a female character's mouth. Hearing a character speak in the appropriate gender's voice helps me catch a lot of subtle differences and improve my characters verisimilitude. Robert Heinlein seems to annoy a lot of women with his dialog. I've often heard women say, "All his women sound like men - no woman would ever talk like that." after reading a Heinlein story.

Considering the number of women I've met who don't enjoy Heinlein's female characters - and the number of guys who do  - there just might be something to this.
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the tip! Alexis must be quite a gal to be able to mimic a wide range of voices. Haha, that's another thing I might need to search for.

I've finally got my feet wet and opted for Olympus instead of Sony because of their reputation and am considering the DS-50 but it is quite pricey and still no sign of whether it can handle being held by wet hands. What do you think?

Whoa mama!  I just saw this thread.  You are crazy Paul!  I'm going to have to set aside some time in my schedule to read this thing.

Seriously, though.  I like your ambition.  But a lot of this stuff is around the forums here somewhere.  It's easier to deal with this (at least in forums) if you break it down as much as possible and address one issue at a time.  But there's always a time and place for large general threads also, so whatever.  I'm one to talk, I've started two enormous threads here myself!
--- End quote ---

Haha, yeah, I'm only at page 6 on your General Brain-Storming on Notetaking Software thread but I don't know about many of these. Maybe I'm just using the wrong keywords but the ones that I know have been discussed before like Online Backups, I need more opinions on and the ones that I ask, I don't find many topics of.

Take for example an offline version of Diigo. I still can't find any alternative to it, I'm almost considering trying to experiment with Surfulator or other web capturing tools in combination with that page but boy, web capturing, that's another head scratcher. Outside of annotation capabilities and highlights, I still haven't found an application that really has a separate preview mode from edit mode that can handle large chunks of data without printing or exporting it to a .txt and exporting that .txt to a PocketPC. (The Kindle is just overpriced on my end in relation to it's value.)

gtoal:
How do you use Wiki-style notetakers? (I can’t seem to get my head around on how a wiki-style’d note is easier to read than other kind of notepads. In Wikipedia alone I can find myself clogging my browser with 100 tabs opened all from starting with one Wikipedia article)

Personally I made wiki-like notes with a text editor, then run a makefile to convert my notes into HTML with a little utility I wrote.  It's lightweight but it does all I need.

http://www.gtoal.com/src/hakihaki/hakihaki.c.html (drop the .html for the plain source)

G

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version