ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Google Chrome -- a new browser coming (in beta) in a few hours

<< < (31/35) > >>

Dirhael:
Thanks. I submitted your entry to Mixx
-Paul Keith (September 06, 2008, 10:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

Dirhael's program mentioned at http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/get_automatic_updates_for_google_chromes_nightly_builds.php.
-sri (September 07, 2008, 09:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hehe, I was wondering where that sudden spike in downloads were coming from ;D

I've updated the utility to fix a small bug in how I parsed the status of the current build, so here's the new download link. To easier see if you have the latest version, you can also use this link (will just list the contents of the folder in which the releases are stored).

EDIT: Thanks to Mouser and Gothic, my little updater have found a new home! I've released a new update 1.2, and this and all future releases can be found right here at the dcmembers site :)

cmpm:
Interesting to note the IE7 promoted Google with the google search box built into IE7. Providing and making known it's capabilities to those who didn't use it before.

And I think zridling may be right about Chrome targeting handheld pc's and communication equipment. But we will see what Blackberry and the rest do with it.

I also wonder if anyone has actually broke into Chrome with it's security. As that is the big drawback with those who know the engine. It could have been modified. I don't know.

I find it very interesting that Google's toolbar is not built into Chrome. Which is the leading software next to it's search engine. Leading me to think there are other plans in the works for that software.

In other words, this could be a step into the direction of a Google Operating System.

Paul Keith:
Paul Keith, you make some good points. I can see why to some users less features is more enticing, and why Chrome is perhaps better off without them from the start. however I stand by my comments that users would be safer and less aggravated by the browser if it had a better rendering engine and was more secure, which would have been accomplished if Google had made the source available prior to the "launch". You can't tell me that Google will go to the same effort for the final (if indeed there ever is one).

Ehtyar.
-Ehtyar (September 08, 2008, 01:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

No problem Ehtyar. I don't really disagree with you as much as I thought I'd try to share my views on the subject. As for the final, we'll have to see. I really do feel that this is their best beta release so I'm crossing my fingers. Compared to their other online offerings, I could really see them having a final on this one.

Not only would that be the thing that breaks the camel's back as far as getting users to switch, it would really be the thing that would reveall how well the Chrome answers all these criticisms and if they do answer them, then it might just be the thing that destroys MS' monopoly. (Remember part of the reason many won't switch to Linux is because there isn't an IE-like browser in it yet and IE is going end up in a tight spot because if they try to compete with features, Opera and FF will eat them alive and they wouldn't retain enough users since the rest of those have sworn their loyalty to Maxthon. If they try to compete with bare bones, then Chrome eats them alive. Hopefully they bring Safari down with IE so that we're back to a level playing field.

I find it very interesting that Google's toolbar is not built into Chrome. Which is the leading software next to it's search engine. Leading me to think there are other plans in the works for that software.
--- End quote ---

I don't know. I think it was just the case that the toolbar would have killed anything appealing about Chrome. Second leading software or not, these kinds of toolbar are seen as adware and space eaters and would have alienated many users from trying Chrome.

I know I would want to try Chrome despite the security risk because of it's minimalistic settings but I definitely wouldn't want to try Chrome with the same features if it's just like using another browser with google toolbar installed and if they hide it by default, then no one except for the few die hard google toolbar users would want to enable it.

Dirhael:
So I was checking my feed reader just now, and I really didn't this coming Google Chrome -- a new browser coming (in beta) in a few hours

allen:
Wow, congrats!

Was pleasantly surprised to see the rww link... now this.  Made quite the in-demand tool!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version