ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Google Chrome -- a new browser coming (in beta) in a few hours

<< < (14/35) > >>

Lashiec:
Well, the browser is sleek and fast, all agreed. Actually, it's almost too fast, my guess is they're using Google Web Accelerator inside the browser for that extra speed, it's not the same in all pages, but to see some heavy ones load in a flash with my connection amazes me.

It shows it's a beta: Java does not work, opening tons of tabs is a recipe for a graphical disaster, it's almost in pants when it comes to features (I almost forgot what it's to surf without ads, and it almost scared me what lurked in some pages), and takes too long to exit the browser after running for a while, even with a minimum amount of tabs. There's nothing revolutionary into the browser, although the more technical features like the task manager and the JavaScript console look nice. And those little things here and there, like the interface for history searching, very fast and using an excellent way to show the results, or how it uses the scroll bar to indicate where page search results are located, nice touch. The way to send bug reports from the browser should be cloned by the competition, it includes screen captures and everything.

I guess the nonstandard way to install the browser is because of the UAC, they would not want to bother in programming a installation routine that does proper elevation.

All in all, it looks like we have a decent WebKit based browser for Windows, and a competitor for Internet Explorer and Safari, as Firefox, Opera and the rest of the alternative browsers are in another level so they don't have to worry for now (in theory). In fact, as a lightweight alternative to IE, it's indeed very recommendable.

Still, I wonder what's the reason of its existence, Google does not really need to launch a browser. I hope mouser's theory it's not the answer, otherwise both Opera and Firefox could be in BIG problems. The fact that the Chromium source code is available, and that the Chrome license agreement says you can't mess with the program (ya know, all the usual reverse engineering) it's suspicious.

Oh well, it's BSD-licensed, so anyone can take the code and run with it :D. BTW, it's V8 really developed by Google, or just enhanced?

V8 assembler is licensed as follows:

Copyright (c) 1994-2006 Sun Microsystems Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

--- End quote ---

jgpaiva:
Edvard: regarding '2': ctrl+shift+n, or something like that. It opens a new window on incognito mode ;)

Ehtyar:
For anyone concerned about privacy, the installer creates a scheduled task to launch Google Updater that runs, believe it or not, when idle. I suggest removing it immediately.

Ehtyar.

Ehtyar:
They do deserve some credit in one respect. When importing settings from IE, they actually import the default search engine, which is Windows Live. Microsoft certainly wouldn't be as accommodating.

Ehtyar.

lanux128:
apart from quirky install location, they actually have an option to set other search engines as default. ;D

google apps load very fast even though flash bogs it down a little. if anything else, this may be useful access google stuff on the web such as reader, gmail, office etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version