ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > DC Gamer Club

Steam, and the gift of game...

<< < (5/13) > >>

wreckedcarzz:
<rant & complaining>

I just don't like the fact that I need yet another program to do yet another task. I go through my list of programs every couple days looking for anything I can get rid of. It sounds weird, but when your strapped for hard drive space (C:\ has 12.2GB free as of right now) and you have to go to extremes to get to where your at now (free space wise), you really don't want something else that will have to have it's download caches cleaned and the friend's list files and whatnot. :-\

I have Xfire; Xfire launches the games I have, and lets me chat while I pwn (or be pwned, but the latter is much less in comparison to the former). To me, all I want is a friends list and a game launcher and Xfire handles that exactly as I want. Personal preference, but it just works with me.

And then you have those STEAM-ONLY games... whats up with that? I can't get a copy for my offline computers? What if you don't have internet or something, but you want this game, but only STEAM has it (no stores). It is like a monopoly on games. I had to *get* a copy of a game from a non-steam *source* just the other day for this reason- my laptop is offline 1/2 the time (school, on the go, etc).

The TB drive is here. I own a 111GB drive. 70GB is games already, Vista takes ~15GB equaling about 85GB. Add on Visual Studio, a slew of Adobe apps, all my hardware drivers, my 6 GB of family photos, all the usual programs, and you run short way before you think you will. I have to turn off System Restore, Hibernation, and even my SWAP FILE in order to keep enough space (I have hit below a GB free on C: before). It's like cramming 5 20 pound computers into 1 50 pound capacity box. You do the math. :wallbash:

</rant & complaining>

f0dder:
I just don't like the fact that I need yet another program to do yet another task. I go through my list of programs every couple days looking for anything I can get rid of. It sounds weird, but when your strapped for hard drive space (C:\ has 12.2GB free as of right now) and you have to go to extremes to get to where your at now (free space wise), you really don't want something else that will have to have it's download caches cleaned and the friend's list files and whatnot. :-\-wreckedcarzz (September 06, 2008, 01:43 AM)
--- End quote ---
AFAIK steam doesn't have "download caches", it has game content files (.gcf?). Those can be backed up & deleted, if you need space. Or just deleted, if you don't mind re-downloading. Just how much space does friend lists occupy? I can't imagine it'd be even a megabyte...

And then you have those STEAM-ONLY games... whats up with that? I can't get a copy for my offline computers? What if you don't have internet or something, but you want this game, but only STEAM has it (no stores). It is like a monopoly on games. I had to *get* a copy of a game from a non-steam *source* just the other day for this reason- my laptop is offline 1/2 the time (school, on the go, etc).-wreckedcarzz (September 06, 2008, 01:43 AM)
--- End quote ---
There's lots of games that are only available for download on the internet and aren't present in physical stores - how's this any different from STEAM? Remember, you can "go offline" in STEAM, and play the games without being connected to the internet.

The TB drive is here. I own a 111GB drive. 70GB is games already, Vista takes ~15GB equaling about 85GB. Add on Visual Studio, a slew of Adobe apps, all my hardware drivers, my 6 GB of family photos, all the usual programs, and you run short way before you think you will.-wreckedcarzz (September 06, 2008, 01:43 AM)
--- End quote ---
Sure, you can run out of space quickly. I only have 2x74gig in my workstation. The ~50megs the STEAM platform itself occupies is still pretty inconsequential, though, imho - especially if it means individual game executables will land at ~2meg instead of ~16meg. Try solving the equation "50 + 2n < 16n" :)

Also, how often do you use your family photos etc? Those should probably be moved to an external USB drive, and be backed up to DVD media or a raid-mirror file server (DVD media would be the cheapest, though :)).

I really don't see what STEAM has to do with free disk space, anyway.

Deozaan:
In the spirit of this thread i'll borrow it due to Steams reginal restrictions. Been wanting to get "Beyond Good and Evil" for a while now and as I really enjoy Steam and use it a lot I would love to get a hold of this game as well.
Can donate the money over PayPal or in the spirit of giving games gift back a game to the person who helps me (a slightly more expensive one that is so the person benefits from the trade).
-ThalSwe (September 04, 2008, 10:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

If Steam has Regional restrictions, how is it possible for someone to gift a game to you that is out of your region? I'm willing to help you if can explain a bit more what I'm supposed to do and how it works. :)

ThalSwe:
You can only buy the games in Canada and USA and not in Europe where I live (or any of the many many other countries in our world). Its a choice from the publisher to simply not sell the games outside of North America. But its perfectly possible to buy the game as a gift if you live in any of those two countries and gift it to one of us...not so fortunate (gaming wise).

So if someone across the pond buys the game as a gift and sends it to my account I would be able to get and play it without a problem :)

f0dder:
You can only buy the games in Canada and USA and not in Europe where I live (or any of the many many other countries in our world). Its a choice from the publisher to simply not sell the games outside of North America. But its perfectly possible to buy the game as a gift if you live in any of those two countries and gift it to one of us...not so fortunate (gaming wise).-ThalSwe (September 08, 2008, 01:04 PM)
--- End quote ---
What, they permanently don't sell outside Canada/USA? Considering Beyond Good & Evil is oldish, it can't be just a release date issue :tellme:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version