ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > DC Gamer Club

Steam, and the gift of game...

<< < (2/13) > >>

y0himba:
A:  Phoning home is useful unless you are running a stolen or "warez" version of a software, not a concern for valid, non-malicious software. (not including malware etc.)  Don't believe the hype.

B:  Services don't "hide" unless they are malicious.  If it is a valid service it is easily viewable through the services snap-in or console commands.

C:  Yes it runs when Windows starts up if you choose to let it.  It only installs a service under Windows Vista.

To me, Steam is a Godsend.  I can format this computer, or any other one, install Steam, and all my Steam purchased games are there.  The download takes a while of course, but in the end it's just like offsite storage.  I can also back up all my game files to a DVD, reinstall Steam, and restore, only needing updates to reduce the download time.

You can only log into your account one time, meaning no multiple logins to the same user account.

The communication system in Steam has evolved to include IN GAME chat to anyone on your friends list, either voice or text.  You can chat with multiple people and hold voice conferences with many folks talking at once, all over Steam. 

It's a plus in my opinion. 

mrHappy:
Thanks for offering your help y0himba , a mail has been sent.

To me, Steam is a Godsend.  I can format this computer, or any other one, install Steam, and all my Steam purchased games are there.  The download takes a while of course, but in the end it's just like offsite storage.
--- End quote ---

You can also choose to backup your games or, if you have them on a different partion just reinstall steam in that directory.

And as a small sidenote, you can't play TF2 (on the pc) without steam :)

y0himba:
I bought it, but I have never really gotten into TF2.  It's unbelievable how much I love COD4 though, but my true addiction is Counterstrike:Source. 

I replied to your email BTW.  You can add me on Steam as a friend, I included all the information.  Be sure to email me with any questions or concerns.

f0dder:
STEAM rocks - and it generally means you don't get nasty & crappy driver-abusing software protections on the games.

p3lb0x:
Also, apparently steam is portable. I didn't have to reinstall it after I reinstalled windows

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version