ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > DC Gamer Club

Steam, and the gift of game...

<< < (4/13) > >>

Shades:
My Problem with STEAM is the software itself. The concept behind it I wholeheartedly agree upon.

Trying to download the Trackmania Nations game through STEAM was impossible over here. It would continue the download when the connection broke. It wouldn't even let me start a new download from the same game (only after a re-install from STEAM it would).

I was finally able to do so by using plain simple HTTP connection through a SOCKS proxy. Steam gave me too much troubles but the concept behind it is a great one.

ThalSwe:
In the spirit of this thread i'll borrow it due to Steams reginal restrictions. Been wanting to get "Beyond Good and Evil" for a while now and as I really enjoy Steam and use it a lot I would love to get a hold of this game as well.
Can donate the money over PayPal or in the spirit of giving games gift back a game to the person who helps me (a slightly more expensive one that is so the person benefits from the trade).

Thanks in advance :)

If nothing else I can be found as Chris Fifty-Two (or ThalSwe) on Steam and always up for a friendly game or two.

wreckedcarzz:
Something that also worries me is that everyone seems to be in a "me too" stance, and they're releasing their own services, complete with frontends: Microsoft, Stardock... prolly others like EA or Activision could join the fest, as well as more "niche" companies.
-Lashiec (September 02, 2008, 05:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Personally, I don't use Steam - I find it idiotic to buy a game online, and in order to do so, download a client to "manage" my games. And it has to stay installed, taking precious MB (my laptop had 555MB free of a 30GB XP partion this morning, now at 1.2GB due to cleaning it up as much as possible).

Anyways, EA jumped on the bandwagon long ago - EA Download Manager, a program I used to purchase and download Need for Speed Carbon Collectors Edition, has gone through lots of stages over several years. Same issue. I no longer have Carbon, or EADM, installed.

In a way, it's convenient - no disks, but then you have the 2 hour waiting period for the 4-6GB to download, whereas you have a disk and it is just install and play.

:two:

f0dder:
Personally, I don't use Steam - I find it idiotic to buy a game online, and in order to do so, download a client to "manage" my games.-wreckedcarzz (September 04, 2008, 11:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
What exactly makes this idiotic? You get reliable and multi-server (ie, FAST even on phat pipes like 20mbit ADSL) downloads using the steam client - more reliable than using a typical browser HTTP or FTP download.

And it has to stay installed, taking precious MB (my laptop had 555MB free of a 30GB XP partion this morning, now at 1.2GB due to cleaning it up as much as possible).-wreckedcarzz (September 04, 2008, 11:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
Less than 50 megabytes for the STEAM platform on my system, and that seems to include some cache files etc. Keep in mind that this platform is used and shared by the installed games... if you take a typical StarForce protected game, you probably have executables of at least 16 megs per game, because that protection system bloats up the executables bigtime. With STEAM games, you don't (or at least shouldn't :)) get that.

Anyways, EA jumped on the bandwagon long ago - EA Download Manager, a program I used to purchase and download Need for Speed Carbon Collectors Edition, has gone through lots of stages over several years. Same issue. I no longer have Carbon, or EADM, installed.-wreckedcarzz (September 04, 2008, 11:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
It's a real shame that several companies feel they need their own system. It's obvious why, though: cash. Might be solvable by doing some peering contract though, where other companies could use the STEAM system, and Valve would only get a small cut of the price.

In a way, it's convenient - no disks, but then you have the 2 hour waiting period for the 4-6GB to download, whereas you have a disk and it is just install and play.-wreckedcarzz (September 04, 2008, 11:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
It's extremely convenient when you have fast broadband. Also, STEAM often lets you pre-download game content before the game is released, meaning that on release day you might not have to download any content at all, or perhaps a few hundred megabytes - meaning almost instant play as soon as the game is released.

Furthermore, you don't need to download the larger games, at least Valve's own titles when purchased on DVD still use the STEAM system. This means you get the same auto-update ease, the same non-messy game protection system etc., and without requiring a massive broadband line for the download.

The only real problem I can see with STEAM is that you need to have an internet connection to use it. Feels a bit silly for single-player games. But you can always choose "go offline" from the STEAM menu, which allows you to play your single-player (and LAN?) games without being connected to the net.

jgpaiva:
The only real problem I can see with STEAM is that you need to have an internet connection to use it. Feels a bit silly for single-player games. But you can always choose "go offline" from the STEAM menu, which allows you to play your single-player (and LAN?) games without being connected to the net.
-f0dder (September 05, 2008, 12:57 AM)
--- End quote ---
Also, that same method allows you to play something with your friends in LAN, without everyone actually owning the game ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version