ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What do you use to bookmark and annotate your .chm files?

<< < (3/5) > >>

Target:
I've never needed this sort of functionality so I've never really taken that much notice, but...

look for some browser plugins - I don't know what you use, but i'm pretty sure there are firefox plugins that will allow you to annotate a web page

mwang:
Yes, there is a Firefox extension that enables you to read chm files: CHM Reader. But I'm afraid it's basic, and for bookmarking, highlighting, and annotation you'll need to use other extensions and/or Firefox's own bookmark system. (I'm guessing here, I don't use the extension. I've only two chm files on my system.)

tslim:
Hi Armando,
What a great recommendation :Thmbsup:, I like this UltraCHM a lot. :-*

I have about 30 technical reference books, half in PDF format, half in CHM format.
What I intend to do (a dream for years never come true) is to combine all the 30 books into 1 big CHM for super fast search. PDF search speed is no way close to the CHM's. But in order to combine the books I need to first convert all those PDF books to CHM. If I can have them converted I can then use ABC Amber CHM Merger - a freeware which can merge CHM files quite well.

My problem is I can't find a good PDF to CHM converter. :(

The best PDF to CHM converter I can find is PowerCHM. But its latest version still has some bug and I have no way to contact the author. (I send about half a dozen emails to the author throughout a year and got no reply), I think it is a dead product by now...

If I can find a good PDF to CHM converter, then I sure will get this UltraCHM. Making note in a CHM is always what I intend to do.

urlwolf:
I think KDE has a tool that does all this. It's called oKular. With KDE4 coming to windows it may be a good solution.

Armando:
I've never needed this sort of functionality so I've never really taken that much notice, but...

look for some browser plugins - I don't know what you use, but i'm pretty sure there are firefox plugins that will allow you to annotate a web page
-Target (September 02, 2008, 02:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, there is a Firefox extension that enables you to read chm files: CHM Reader. But I'm afraid it's basic, and for bookmarking, highlighting, and annotation you'll need to use other extensions and/or Firefox's own bookmark system. (I'm guessing here, I don't use the extension. I've only two chm files on my system.)
-mwang (September 02, 2008, 02:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah... Might have a look at that too. When I'll have more time. Maybe somebody already uses a similar solution on a day to day basis ?

Hi Armando,
What a great recommendation :Thmbsup:, I like this UltraCHM a lot. :-*

I have about 30 technical reference books, half in PDF format, half in CHM format.
What I intend to do (a dream for years never come true) is to combine all the 30 books into 1 big CHM for super fast search. PDF search speed is no way close to the CHM's. But in order to combine the books I need to first convert all those PDF books to CHM. If I can have them converted I can then use ABC Amber CHM Merger - a freeware which can merge CHM files quite well.

My problem is I can't find a good PDF to CHM converter. :(

The best PDF to CHM converter I can find is PowerCHM. But its latest version still has some bug and I have no way to contact the author. (I send about half a dozen emails to the author throughout a year and got no reply), I think it is a dead product by now...

If I can find a good PDF to CHM converter, then I sure will get this UltraCHM. Making note in a CHM is always what I intend to do.
-tslim (September 02, 2008, 09:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

You could always try to convert to something else (like RTF) and then back to CHM with what's already available (eg : the word to CHM and CHM to word converter link above). Could be a bit tedious though. The only all in one solutions out there seems Help & Manual, for those rich people among us, or those who deal with CHM manipulation for their job, etc.

I think KDE has a tool that does all this. It's called oKular. With KDE4 coming to windows it may be a good solution.
-urlwolf (September 02, 2008, 10:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting. Switching to KDE just to gain chm reading and annotating features might be a bit overkill, but I'll keep an eye open on KDE 4 as it might be a good wm to test anyway.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version