ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: the most basic screen ruler imaginable

(1/3) > >>

garbanzo:

screen rulers - there are 101 of them, and i think i've tried them all. most look like rulers and are absolutely impractical. this is what i would like to see instead:

a tiny window that normally shows the x,y coordinates of the cursor. hitting a hotkey sets the current cursor position as Point A. hitting it a second time sets the position as Point B. the window then displays the distance between A and B in pixels. maybe a line could be drawn on the screen as a visual guide, and holding Shift could constrain mouse movement to 45 degree increments to ensure accuracy.

actually it doesn't even have to have a window - it could just be a text overlay that you could drag around the screen and stick wherever you want. that would be nice :)

just something fast and basic to use along with your favorite zoom utility for getting quick measurements while building skins and GUIs.

thanks!

lanux128:
a DC member, Renegade had coded something like this before. maybe you can take a look. :)

• Renegade's Floating Ruler

lanux128:
incidentally, freewaregenius did a write-up today about a program called Window Ruler.

• http://www.freewaregenius.com/2008/08/29/window-ruler-easily-measure-any-on-screen-object/

PhilB66:
@garbanzo

You could achieve that with a FastStone Capture (and probably with other similar tools) but if you insist on a seperate ruler tool... check out Meazure.

A utility for measuring, magnifying and capturing arbitrary portions of the screen.
--- End quote ---

To download go to http://shareware.pcmag.com/product.php%5Bid%5D75607%5BSiteID%5Dpcmag (a Simtel alternative)

garbanzo:
thanks for the suggestions. i have actually tried all of these. i have tried dozens of these apps. but none work well for me, which is why i posted here.

Renegade's wouldn't even run. Window Ruler measures in two axes only. not very useful at all. and this last one, well it's big and it uses an installer so it doesn't seem like the small and portable app i am trying to find...

so my request stands, such as it is :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version