ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Comcast internet throttling is up and running

<< < (3/3)

Stoic Joker:
AT&T is also sending out feelers to see how much 'customer interest'  (i.e. willingness to pay) there is for "in-home cell base stations" to cover people who live in dead spots, so I wouldn't hold my breath.-40hz (November 05, 2009, 06:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's one of those devices that's always bugged me, if the cell phone can't get signal...because it's too far from the tower. What good is a second device that's also equally too far from the same tower going to do?

40hz:
AT&T is also sending out feelers to see how much 'customer interest'  (i.e. willingness to pay) there is for "in-home cell base stations" to cover people who live in dead spots, so I wouldn't hold my breath.-40hz (November 05, 2009, 06:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's one of those devices that's always bugged me, if the cell phone can't get signal...because it's too far from the tower. What good is a second device that's also equally too far from the same tower going to do?
-Stoic Joker (November 06, 2009, 05:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

It works just like any other wireless access point.

The base station plugs into a phone line and provides wireless connections to any cellphones within range of its antenna. So if you frequent a fixed location (home/work/hangout) that gets poor cellphone reception, this little gadget should solve the problem.

Not a bad idea as far as it goes except for two issues:

* They want their customers to pay for the device :mad:

* It's one more source of RF :(

Innuendo:
Don't know where you are, but where I am (SW CT) their DSL service is quite good. I've had no outages - or at least not any I was aware of for longer than I can remember.-40hz (November 05, 2009, 06:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm in SW IN. Looking at their coverage map for 3G it looks like AT&T is stuck in 1776. Great coverage in the original 13 colonies & crappy service everywhere else...except for CA when they sent some towers out with Lewis & Clark.  ;D

Back to the original topic, at least we don't live in Canada. I think all the ISPs up there throttle.

f0dder:
AT&T is offering him a fixed-IP (/29 subnet) 768K DSL package for just $70/month - and that includes a 'business class' router (w/no installation charge) in exchange for a 1-year contract. And it comes with no bandwidth caps or restrictions on what it gets used for as long as it's legal.-40hz (November 05, 2009, 02:02 PM)
--- End quote ---
For $70/mo, I get 20/2 ADSL2+, fixed IP, and no throttling or caps in any way.

Comcast sucks - I hope it'll take a loooooong time before we see such nastzi practices in .dk :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version