ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Anyone uses MediaMonkey? I need your advices.

<< < (4/4)

Dirhael:
The mystery is growing. My supplier (YouSee.dk) told me that the monkey is working okay on their side, and we tried a number of solutions, we even resat my IP address. Nothing helped. I may give up - No media monkey for me!
 :wallbash:
-Curt (October 27, 2008, 06:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

Try using OpenDNS. Been using it for around a year now, and it's reliable and fast. Of course, that won't help you if you can't even ping the MM server (209.200.50.117). In that case, I've mirrored the latest build for you right here so that you'll at least be able to install and use it :)

Curt:
- very interesting solution, Dirhael!  :up: But I can't help wondering what will happen if someone gets mad at OpenDNS and tries to block them. Will such an attack have any influence in my end of the line?

Big THANK YOU for the file,  :Thmbsup: installing as we speak, ehh... as I am typing this :-)

Edited:
Should also mention that I cannot even reach the monkey via Thunderbird & Thunderbrowse!

Dirhael:
- very interesting solution, Dirhael!  :up: But I can't help wondering what will happen if someone gets mad at OpenDNS and tries to block them. Will such an attack have any influence in my end of the line?

Big THANK YOU for the file,  :Thmbsup: installing as we speak, ehh... as I am typing this :-)

Edited:
Should also mention that I cannot even reach the monkey via Thunderbird & Thunderbrowse!
-Curt (October 27, 2008, 08:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

No problem at all, just happy to help out :)

As for the blocking...well, not really unless it's your ISP that does it [the blocking] (they won't). That said, if you're happy with your ISP's DNS servers and don't want or need the extra security provided by OpenDNS you could get by using another solutions if it's just a matter of a single domain or two that fails to resolve. This solution would be to edit your hosts file and add the IP and domain of the server you're trying to reach. The drawback of this is that if the website ever changes their IP you'll be right back where you started, but as a short-term solution it would work.

40hz:
As for the blocking...well, not really unless it's your ISP that does it [the blocking] (they won't). That said, if you're happy with your ISP's DNS servers and don't want or need the extra security provided by OpenDNS you could get by using another solutions if it's just a matter of a single domain or two that fails to resolve. This solution would be to edit your hosts file and add the IP and domain of the server you're trying to reach. The drawback of this is that if the website ever changes their IP you'll be right back where you started, but as a short-term solution it would work.
-Dirhael (October 27, 2008, 09:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

OPenDNS!!! Good suggestion Dirhael! :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

Alternatively, you could specify OpenDNS as your primary DNS server, and use your ISP's server as your secondary. That way, anything that can't get resolved by your primary DNS choice will get resolved by your secondary.

That is what I do. I have to do this because my ISP (AT&T) has certain diagnostic and customer service links on its network that are resolved by its own DNS servers and apparently are not shared with the rest of the world. No AT&T DNS server - no connection to those links.

Love it. >:(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version