ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Customizable Unicode character paster

<< < (2/6) > >>

VideoInPicture:
IDEA: Customizable Unicode character paster1
Edit: Grab a newer version of Easy Unicode Paster in the messages below.

For what it's worth, here is a version of the easy unicode paster program you want in .Net since that is what I'm using primarily at the moment and I have the components to build it from other projects. I think the screenshots do good job of illustrating what it can do but I'll point out some of them to make it clear:

(1) You can paste either single unicode characters or a string of them at a time.
(2) You can change the number of buttons, the order of the buttons, the unicode characters pasted, the size of the buttons, and the default size of the window in the Config.ini file. The buttons are automatically layed out by the program.
(3) You can select a hotkey from the drop downlist (try the hotkeys out, some may not work on your system) that hides the program. Pressing the hotkey again shows the program.
(4) There is a tray icon (not shown) that makes the program visible.
(5) You can make the program topmost/not topmost.
(6) Click the "Reload Buttons" button to reload the settings from the Config.ini file.
(7) The source code is pretty simple and readable since all the hard things are done by the .Net Framework and a couple of dll files.
(8) The program does not take focus even when you click on it. It will send the unicode keys to which ever window has focus.

The executable and the source code are included (written in my favorite language, C#). I think that this program is pretty handy since I could use it for other things like pasting addresses in programs or registration forms.

You can get the latest version of .Net from http://www.microsoft.com/net/Download.aspx and it won't slow down your computer since it doesn't run when it's not used. I think the new version of the .Net Framework has a pretty small download size from what I've been hearing.

Eric Wong

garbanzo:
wow Eric, this is almost perfect. it looks great and does everything i wanted it to - except for the unicode part! i don't know if i did something wrong or what. here is a clip from the config file i set up that includes all of the special characters used in Hungarian:

--- ---10=á
20=Á
30=é
40=É
50=í
60=Í
70=ó
80=Ó
90=ö
100=Ö
110=ő
120=Ő
130=ú
140=Ú
150=ü
160=Ü
170=ű
180=Ű

everything works but four - 110, 120, 170, and 180. these are the four unicode characters in Hungarian. they are the four that give me the most trouble. all the rest i can make in Word using the built-in hotkeys - but not these. Skrommel's Accents makes all the rest except for these. gosh, i hate those four vowels  :mad:

should i be using a different font? do i have something set wrong? i would love for this to work, the app you made is just ideal for my purposes!

by the way, did you look up some hungarian words for your screenshots? i see a few in there :)

thanks for all your hard work getting this set up. i hope for your sake that it's not too much of a bother to get things working on my end!

VideoInPicture:
......everything works but four - 110, 120, 170, and 180. these are the four unicode characters in Hungarian. they are the four that give me the most trouble. all the rest i can make in Word using the built-in hotkeys - but not these. Skrommel's Accents makes all the rest except for these. gosh, i hate those four vowels  :mad:

should i be using a different font? do i have something set wrong? i would love for this to work, the app you made is just ideal for my purposes!

by the way, did you look up some hungarian words for your screenshots? i see a few in there :)
-garbanzo (August 28, 2008, 01:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

IDEA: Customizable Unicode character paster1
IDEA: Customizable Unicode character paster2

Looks like there is either a bug somewhere in one of the implementations of unicode in either Windows or some programming libraries. Either way, I've fixed the problem of those special unicode characters in EasyUnicodePaster V1.1. I've made it so that you can specify the unicode XML number of the character you want in the new Config.ini file as well as just pasting the plain characters when those work. The screenshots above should show you how it's working now. I just took the part of the Config.ini file you pasted and added the last 6 buttons in their with the double accent characters.

I've also changed the font of the buttons in the source code to be a regular typeface for easier reading of some of the more complex characters.

And yes, I looked up all those hungarian words and characters on Wikipedia just to see what I was dealing with. I think I'll do a bit more refinement on the interface of this program and how you change the settings and set up a Wikidot website for it since I think this is quite useful and easy to use. I think there are lots of people who would just like a simple program like this when they are working with weird unicode characters since it is much faster than going through lots of menus and the large buttons make it easy to use.

Executable and source code (C#) included in the zip file.

Eric Wong

Edit: Use the newer version 1.2 of Easy Unicode Paster below.

VideoInPicture:
There was a little bug is version 1.1 of Easy Unicode Paster. There was a hidden panel in the program that was interfering with the flow layout of the buttons. I was wondering why the buttons moved around like they did.

This new version has a much more logical button flow layout. Please delete the old one and use this (version 1.2).

Eric Wong

garbanzo:
this is outstanding, Eric! i'm glad you're also pleased with it. and yes, i believe there are many people who will find this useful. as i said, i've been looking for something like this for quite a long time, and while there are alternatives, none are as free and easy as this has turned out to be.

thank you very much for your time and effort!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version