ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Opinions on Netflix?

<< < (5/6) > >>

J-Mac:
OK, OK...  How could I not be convinced with these recommendations? I signed up last night and am now waiting for my first shipment. The only bad part is that enrolling on a Friday evening and with a holiday weekend - Labor Day is a holiday for most, including Netflix, here in the US - means that they won't ship until Tuesday. So Wednesday is the soonest I can expect my initial DVDs; Thursday is probably more likely.

And since the first two weeks are technically the "Trial Period" (No way I found to directly subscribe without going through the "Trial"), I imagine that Netflix tries to ensure that the top three DVDs in our queue are available. I remember reading about two years ago that if a subscriber is getting more than a certain limit of DVDs monthly that they consider high usage, they stop sending them their top selections, instead reserving those for the less frequent users. I actually do understand that policy, though that's not to say it is necessarily correct.

Anyway, thanks for all the excellent and comments!

Jim

Deozaan:
Have you tried using separate profiles (Your Account->Account Profiles)?  It should allow you and your wife to each have your own queue and ability to rate/review movies independently.

Of course if you're on an odd-number out plan this could just start an argument over who gets more DVDs from their queue.  Which may be part of Netflix's master plan!  :o
-TheQwerty (August 30, 2008, 10:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

No, I didn't know about that option. How does it decide who's queue to send the next movie from?

TheQwerty:
No, I didn't know about that option. How does it decide who's queue to send the next movie from?-Deozaan (August 31, 2008, 05:08 PM)
--- End quote ---
Well I'm not actually using the feature so this is only my guess, but I believe you split up your allotted DVD slots across each profile and at any given point in time they try to ensure that what you have at home is distributed accordingly.

So if you are on 3-out, you could create separate profiles for your wife, yourself, and continue to use the owner profile for things you both want to see.  Assign 1 DVD to each profile, and there should always be a DVD from each of the queues at home.

I would hope that it prevents having duplicates at home and that it would send more DVDs from a different queue if one was empty, but I'm not sure.

Netflix was planning on removing this feature for pretty vague reasons but the outburst from vocal users convinced them otherwise.  As a result, I imagine it will get an overhaul in the near-ish future to address some of their reasons, and it might be a good time to try it and offer feedback.

terryowen:
wasting away your monies and could be wanted by others.  Newsweek has dubbed this Netflix Guilt.  I really ought to watch American Gangster this weekend.
-TheQwerty (August 28, 2008, 08:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ah - so that's what it's called.  :-)

I just ordered the Roku a few weeks back; it was dead simple to install and activate.  The selection of watch instantly is not great but I still managed to put 187 movies and and a few tv series in (we like classics, which helps).  I bought the player because my husband gripes that I hog the dvd queue.

I know the Roku people have gotten some bad hardware reviews but I have an older, slower wireless router and it worked pretty well in spite of that.  Way better than the built-in wireless in my Dell laptop for sure (which barely works at all, off-topic I know but just needed to vent).   

I think the worst genre is for kids, especially pre-schoolers - the watch instantly selections are abysmal.  But then my Tivo is full of Jimmy Neutron, Fairly Odd-Parents and Yo Gabba Gabba, so it all evens out. 

Terry (lurker and long-time Netflix fan)   

J-Mac:
Thanks Terry!

I signed up for Netflix a few days ago, and I just now ordered the Roku Netflix Player, after reading your post.

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version