ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Opinions on Netflix?

<< < (4/6) > >>

J-Mac:
Thanks for that post, Deozaan.

That IS surprising. I would think that it would be a benefit for them to offer such filtering. Have you ever let them know your feelings on this?

Jim

Deozaan:
My other complaint (I guess) is that in order for them to recommend other movies to you, they ask you to rate a bunch of movies you've seen. Well the obvious problem for anyone actually using the service is that we would get some movies that my wife would love and I would hate, or vice versa, but they apparently didn't take into account the idea that multiple people in the same household might have different opinions, so you can only rate the movie one way for the entire account. Naturally my wife would rate movies she loved with 5 stars and then it would recommend many similar titles that I had no interest in at all. :-(

I suppose this falls into the same category of not enough filtering options for what I want.

That IS surprising. I would think that it would be a benefit for them to offer such filtering. Have you ever let them know your feelings on this?
-J-Mac (August 28, 2008, 11:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

No, I didn't send them any feedback, since I only had it during the trial period.

I'd also like to make clear, if I didn't from my first post, that I liked the service. I agree with what most people have said about the options I've used (Instant Watch on a PC or movies by mail). The turn-around time is very quick, usually only two business days from when I return a movie to when I get the next one in the queue. They were all in good condition and I only had to clean one or two of them to reduce skipping problems.

If they would improve the filtering options on the website, it would be an outstanding service in my opinion.

J-Mac:
My other complaint (I guess) is that in order for them to recommend other movies to you, they ask you to rate a bunch of movies you've seen. Well the obvious problem for anyone actually using the service is that we would get some movies that my wife would love and I would hate, or vice versa, but they apparently didn't take into account the idea that multiple people in the same household might have different opinions, so you can only rate the movie one way for the entire account. Naturally my wife would rate movies she loved with 5 stars and then it would recommend many similar titles that I had no interest in at all. :-(
-Deozaan (August 29, 2008, 12:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

Shouldn't be a problem - just hack her email account and trap all Netflix messages - forward them to yourself!   ;D ;D ;D

(Of course even as I write this I am peeking in the "Behind Me" parabolic mirror over my desk to make sure that MY exceedingly lovely, brilliant, and most benevolent wife is not peeking over my shoulder!!  (Emphasis added 'cause that's all she can hopefully see from way back there...  hehehe  OOPS, Bye!)   :rip:   8)

searchingforsurf:
i used Netflix for about a year and enjoyed the service. The only complaint I had is that the children's movies were often unplayable which was frustrating. I remember it took three tries (and over 2 weeks) to get a playable version of one movie for my kids, and after that we just rented kids movies from the local video store.

With all the downloads you can get in addition to the physical copies it's definitely something I'd do again if I were getting rid of cable. One of my close friends is doing that now and really enjoys it.

TheQwerty:
My other complaint (I guess) is that in order for them to recommend other movies to you, they ask you to rate a bunch of movies you've seen. Well the obvious problem for anyone actually using the service is that we would get some movies that my wife would love and I would hate, or vice versa, but they apparently didn't take into account the idea that multiple people in the same household might have different opinions, so you can only rate the movie one way for the entire account. Naturally my wife would rate movies she loved with 5 stars and then it would recommend many similar titles that I had no interest in at all. :-(-Deozaan (August 29, 2008, 12:33 AM)
--- End quote ---
Have you tried using separate profiles (Your Account->Account Profiles)?  It should allow you and your wife to each have your own queue and ability to rate/review movies independently.

Of course if you're on an odd-number out plan this could just start an argument over who gets more DVDs from their queue.  Which may be part of Netflix's master plan!  :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version