ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

If somebody offers you swapping your PC for a mac cold turkey: would you do it?

<< < (7/9) > >>

Mark0:
Years ago the complaint was levelled that Windows was not truly WYSIWYG for publishing - but that complaint really died with the introduction of TrueType Fonts.-Carol Haynes (August 28, 2008, 12:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's not always true. There are some quirks in the Win way of rendering fonts between low & hi DPI devices (basically due to certain choices done regarding hinting).
Here's a simple test:

--- ---mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Cut & paste the above in WordPad. Using Arial (Western) 10, the right margin will be just about "in line".
Do a preview and it still show up just right.

Now print it (even with a PDF virtual printer), and see the difference!
Clearly this represent an extremisation, but on a complex / real document, that may lead to some pretty interesting effects in some circumstances! :)

Bye!

jgpaiva:
Now print it (even with a PDF virtual printer), and see the difference!
-Mark0 (August 29, 2008, 08:31 PM)
--- End quote ---
In case someone's wondering and doesn't feel like testing.. What happens is that the 'i' character and the 'm' character don't retain the same size as in the document, the lines should have the same width but when printed they get different widths. ;)

Mark0:
Exactly! Here's a screenshot that show it (above, WordPad Preview; below, the print to PDF document).

If somebody offers you swapping your PC for a mac cold turkey: would you do it?

Using styles like bold & italic on small fonts makes can lead to even more interesting results.
IIRC there was some posts about differents font rendering philosophies between Win & OS X even here's at DonationCoder. Basically, Win trade on screen quality, pixel-perfect rendering for strict typographic correctness. Or something like that! :)

wreckedcarzz:
I don't like the Mac operating system - I wouldn't mind having a Macintosh laptop for testing and programming purposes, but other than that, I see no reason to own one. And to switch your Windows-based computer (or Linux, or Unix...) for a Macintosh... to me, that is like going from color to black and white.

Just my opinion. *Gives tower a big hug* :P

Music_Guy:
I did the switch from PC to Mac a few weeks back. I record music though so it was an eventual switch that I couldn't avoid. I am loving mac and the switch went really smooth since I had a buddy who took maybe 30 minutes or so just showing me around a little.

If you work in multimedia, man, Mac is solid as hell. Runs so smooth compared to my PC which always dropped out or froze in certain software. Plus I was on Vista before which I am not a fan of.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version