ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

PC Upgrade - A few questions

<< < (5/7) > >>

cranioscopical:
I sometimes wonder about using two identical drives in a computer -
the chances could be that they might both give up around the same ?
maybe it just me imaging the worst possible scenario-tomos
--- End quote ---

That's an interesting point. Of the four that I bought for one of my machines three died (they had nearly sequential serial #s). That's a bit too much for me to accept as coincidence. There may have been some other reason entirely, I can't say.

OTOH I like the idea of identical components. I offer no rational support for that view, just a vague feeling of balance. At some time or another I've mixed drives in most machines I owned, with no (known) problems.

Usually I start off any new machine with identical drives. You can cross your fingers for me as I just put four drives into my new machine, each one being the same model as the rest.  I'll report back on Fryday.

tslim:
Yep, the waiting game can be played infinitely, can't it?
-nosh (August 26, 2008, 04:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

I understand what you mean by the waiting game. Trust me, I am quite crazy in PC upgrade. I have the game played almost every half a year for quite some time ... and I seldom wait.

Seriously, my wait this time is not a typical wait. This time it is like a global revolution taking place, generally PC buyer can:

Opt for Core2Quad rather than Core2Duo (when many are still in the era of pre Core2Duo)
Opt for RAID rather than buying a 10000RPM HDD (which never get commonplace)
Opt for DDR3 rather than DDR2
Power supply has to support the new PCIE-card's power socket.
I heard Bios are having big revolution as well.

All the above happen and most importantly become a norm in a short range of time. Yes I agree technology advances everyday, but I have never seen so many changes all within a short period... better think twice for what is your next PC build.

tslim, there are boards that support both DDR2 & DDR3 but I assume you meant they can't be run concurrently.
-nosh (August 26, 2008, 04:49 PM)
--- End quote ---
Seriously, I never come across one. May be it is because I am too much a ASUS mobo fan, which make me seldom visit other sites for mobo.
Could you please quote me few mobo which support both DDR2 and DDR3, I have great interest, but I need to know their chipset as well.

Darwin:
tslim -  >:(

You're making me feel bad about my recent purchase of a Core 2 Duo notebook when Intel is promising that Quad Core will be available in a mobile platform next year  :D

I salve the wound by reminding myself that this kind of leap in mobile technology will no doubt be very expensive in the first year or more that it is available...

tslim:
ah Ha,
Your case is definitely different.
Who cares about a product due next year?

Darwin:
thanks, tslim - that makes me feel better  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version