topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 3:50 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Launch Method: Method 2 - ShellExecuteEx  (Read 5555 times)

macs

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Launch Method: Method 2 - ShellExecuteEx
« on: September 02, 2008, 06:21 AM »
The two launch methods are either ShellExecute or ShellExecuteEx.  But as I don't understand the difference between these two API functions I'm not sure what the difference is. Can anybody provide an explanation.

I ask because at some point I switched to method 2 (either I was just playing around or it was to solve some issue). The problem is that method 2 doesn't launch RDP (remote desktop configuration files) I get an error "The parameter is incorrect".

If it helps these are RDP files (and not shortcuts to RDP files) in the start menu. They work fine if I use the start menu to launch them.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Launch Method: Method 2 - ShellExecuteEx
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 07:56 AM »
the difference as explained by mouser here. :)

[for the technically minded, i changed from ShellExecute to ShellExecuteEx, AND i added code to find the document class in the registry before invoking the "open" verb.  i suspect it is this document class lookup that is causing the change in behavior, though i'm not sure why.  the change was done to fix the problem some people were having with some documents not opening at all, and it seems to have solved that problem for them, but now it seems to have caused a strange change in behavior for others].

d4ni

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Launch Method: Method 2 - ShellExecuteEx
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 08:43 AM »
It was disabled by default, however, because it was causing some problems.