ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

AirObic/ Aerobic Vertical mouse - first impressions

<< < (3/3)

Darwin:
Heh, heh... just wondered! I have the same "capacity" for using either hand, actually. I only realised it when I started working and people would comment on weird things like my ability to sweep or mop the floor with either hand (ie with my left or right hand at the top of the handle -who knew that this is "odd"?!) or skip rocks across water or throw a football with either hand. FWIW, my handwriting is legible when I use my left hand, but I have to concentrate more while I am doing it...

Good comments on the posture - I'm working on it!

tomos:
I thought I'd start a thread related to ideas about how we should sit, stand, lift stuff even,
especially in relation to how we work and any problems we might have due possibly to poor posture.
-tomos (September 07, 2008, 08:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

quoted your book/video recommendations kfitting (great video btw :up:)

bzeng:
I have used this same mouse for the last couple of years.
I bought it when I experienced prolonged wrist soreness after using an ordinary mouse.

The best thing about this mouse is the comfort of the hand support that allows complete relaxation of your hand. The wrist soreness has completely disappeared since using this mouse. I adjusted the arm rest of my chair to allow my elbow to rest on the chair as my hand rests on the mouse, letting my arm relax as much as possible.

Unfortunately, because all motion is with the arm and wrist and not with the fingers, this mouse design does not allow for fine control of the cursor on the screen. Also, as you point out, the position and action of the buttons is awkward. The left button especially require a finger press in a horizontal plane, but the natural motion of the index finger is 45 degrees downward. You must make a conscious effect when clicking.

The quality of the mouse in general is disappointing. I had to take it apart and repair it soon after getting it. Inside, a small bit of plastic had been glued to the button to help it reach the switch, but it had fallen off and needed regluing; not what you would expect for 100 USD.

I can not comment on the included software. I remember trying it, but did not find it useful. It might be intended for those with more significant physical impairment.

All in all, this mouse has relieved my wrist pain, so I am grateful for it. I don’t understand why it is so expensive. For my second computer I approximated this mouse design with a Logitech Trackman Wheel Optical trackball by gluing a 35 degree wedge under the left side to roll the wrist outward. It works very well for $30.

tomos:
thanks for your response bzeng -
it's good to hear the mouse is helpful if you have wrist problems
Me, I've given up on this mouse because of my shoulder pain - to be clear: it only ever said it could be helpful for wrist pain (& maybe elbow?)

I've updated the review, in particular the Conclusions

Conclusions

* from reply #12 below:The best thing about this mouse is the comfort of the hand support that allows complete relaxation of your hand. The wrist soreness has completely disappeared since using this mouse
Unfortunately, because all motion is with the arm and wrist and not with the fingers, this mouse design does not allow for fine control of the cursor on the screen. Also, as you point out, the position and action of the buttons is awkward.

* so, helpful if you have wrist problems (as Cranioscopical says, well worth it if it helps) with the drawback that it's not suitable for fine work and see next point -
* if you have shoulder pain/problems DON'T buy this mouse - your shoulder has to do the movements that you probably previously did with your wrist/lower arm

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version