ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What May Happen in the Next 100 Years (Predictions from 1901)

<< < (4/5) > >>

Renegade:
I didn't read them all, but the ones I did read were very good and very close to being true. Well, considering that they were looking a centry ahead, they did an excellent job of predicting things. Sure trains can go faster than 150 mph, but they got the right idea.

40hz:
Perhaps the most interesting thing that can be learned from a history of predictions is just how misplaced our present concerns end up being. Be it because we come up with solutions or, as the past would seem to suggest, a new technology comes along which so completely changes the playing field that we end up with a completely new and unrelated set of concerns.
-Eóin (August 26, 2008, 05:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Gerald Weinberg mentioned Rudy's Rutabaga Rule: Once you eliminate your number one problem, number two gets an immediate promotion.

J-Mac:
I didn't read them all, but the ones I did read were very good and very close to being true. Well, considering that they were looking a centry ahead, they did an excellent job of predicting things. Sure trains can go faster than 150 mph, but they got the right idea.
-Renegade (August 26, 2008, 08:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah?  Maybe where you live!

Jim

40hz:
Just as long as I can still have ghoti and chips!
-cranioscopical (August 25, 2008, 10:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

An old proverb, modified for the way things seem to be going in the 21st Century:

"Give a man a ghoti and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to ghoti and you can shoot him for poaching. (Problem solved.)" 

We sure do solve our problems differently these days! :'(

J-Mac:
.... and you can shoot him for poaching. (Problem solved.)" 
-40hz (August 27, 2008, 11:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

....which brings Rudy's Rutabaga Rule into play all over again...    (You're a cold ghoti...)   8)

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version