ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

How to choose programming language?

<< < (2/8) > >>

Ketracel:
yeah, I've spent a few minutes playing with it and the only time it recommends other programs over C/C++ is when you tell is that speed is not important

f0dder:
If you're dealing with stock trading, you're going to be doing some (inter)network communication - this will be your bottleneck, completely dwarfing code speed. You could probably choose Visual Basic as language without any problems :)

C++ code can be notoriously difficult to read and understand for anyone other than the original coder. And even the person who wrote the code can get tangled up. Or so I've heard. So I'd prefer a "cleaner and leaner" language for the reason that many eyes will go over the code.
--- End quote ---
I dunno who make this argument today, apart from diehard zealots of other languages? Code can be an unreadable mess in any language, if not written by a competent programmer. C++ has features that makes it possible to write cleaner and easier-to-follow than C code... if written properly.

As well, I've done enough research to know that other languages, for example, python, can be as fast as C++ (with the right tweaking - psyco). Then there's C - with an incredible open source implementation in blender.org
--- End quote ---
Uh, C implementation in blender.org? What?

mouser:
Why not tell us more about what the application is going to do, how much you are willing to sponsor, etc.

Ehtyar:
I would also recommend VB or C#, both for, as f0dder mentioned, ease of networking, and also for the GUI in particular.

Ehtyar.

Ketracel:
f0dder,
re the importance of networking (sending/receiving data constantly), yes! you're absolutely correct. This is vital to the app.

re the argument, well, I've heard it - I'm not convinced because common sense tells me what you mention also. Having said that, without wanting to start a language war or debate, higher languages have an inherent usability which lowel level ones don't have by sacrificing effiency/speed. Most of the time. And if you want to get poetic, some languages are more "pretty" than others. Anyway... :-)

I was talking about Blender (check it out at blender.org), a 3D modeling program written primarily in C and C++ with some python for scripting. I love what they have done with the GUI of that app. I had a similar vision for my own project, before finding Blender.

re VB... I dunno... lol, oh and also, I'd like it to be platform agnostic (Mac/*nix/Win). Can VB do that? :-)

mouser,
sure, what would be most helpful? I've got the project fleshed out but I'm not sure which portion of it you'd like me to expound on. In one sentence, the installed desktop program allows a person to trade securities by graphing their chart and giving feedback to the user on what is going on in the market and what they have done relative to it.

Since I'm not a programmer, I'm not sure what complexity it would call for... and therefore, no idea in terms of $$ or time. What I had in mind was to quickly get a rickety version up and running and then to iteratively refine it. I'd like to kick start the project off by hiring a programmer then based on the strength of the offering, organically building a dedicated community of traders/programmers to move it forward.

What makes a certain language more appealing is that there is currently a sort of long-lost "third cousin" already under GPL v2 which I could use as a launching pad. This would mean that, rather than staring from zero code, there would be already an existing project to "fork" in a matter of meaning.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version