ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

How to choose programming language?

<< < (5/8) > >>

jgpaiva:
I'm curious, would one be able to use wxWidgets and get the sort of GUI that blender has?
-Ketracel (August 27, 2008, 10:43 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'm sorry, I haven't been following this thread, but when I read this I thought I sould say something. I hope I won't say anything stupid for being out of context.

In my opinion, only on very special cases should people resort to using non-standard ways of designing user interfaces.
On most situations, it only causes lots of confusion for the user, and general catastrophe.
Also, programming this kind of interface is harder and more error-prone.

Just a heads-up ;)

ps: just noticed that f0dder already mentioned this in a previous post.. I should have anticipated that :)

Ketracel:
jgpaiva, thank you for your comment. I fully agree btw. I'm not a programmer nor am I an expert GUI designer but I have read more than 10 books on usability and GUI design which is more than I can say about programming :-)

The intention behind the question was not that I want to go ape$hit crazy on the GUI design, it was more to flesh out how much I can push the GUI framework. For example, does the "wire framing" that goes around the window have to be there? Is there a way to remove it (I'm assuming full screen mode here)

jgpaiva:
Oh, it looks like I was preaching to the choir, then :)
Ok, glad to know that, and the advice stays for other readers of the thread ;)
Good luck on your search!

psionics:
If you want a database friendly application, or something for business, I would to recommend Power Builder (C++).. I dunno what people thinks about PB.. but I would be glad to hear it.

Ketracel:
I do have a program in mind, as I've mentioned and shortly I'll share what it is and ask your feedback on its suitability in more detail.-Ketracel (August 27, 2008, 10:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

as promised, the programming language I have in mind is... [drumroll]... python.

Please let loose with praise and/or criticism. Why would this be a good choice? why would it be a bad choice?

thanks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version