topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:37 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Feature requests:More visuals, Grid in result window, Custom background color  (Read 6322 times)

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It would be great if FARR has more visual settings like

-Grid in result window (horizantal, vertical, or both) display in result window.
-Custom  background color for the results area
-Adjustable icon size(we have only 2 sizes now)

d4ni

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
And FARR should look prettier to appeal to a wider audience ;) I think it's features are pretty much unmatched but farr looks kinda ugly compared to other launchers (Launchy, Dash etc).

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Farr comes with couple skins thou.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I love the default skin (the grey one) think it looks very classy -
would look better though if you could change background colour -
wait a minute,
how did he change background colour

maybe it's his default windows page colour ?
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
a fancy grid mode is coming soon for plugin writers.
perhaps the ability to set a custom background color/imagewallpaper would be nice.

s.newave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
a fancy grid mode is coming soon for plugin writers.
:Thmbsup::Thmbsup:

It would be great if FARR has more visual settings like
-Adjustable icon size(we have only 2 sizes now)

Maybe FARR could automatically size the icon based on the result row height.

There have been many threads regarding FARR's sexyness and there is no question imo that it pushes some ppl away before they are able to discover just how great the software is and what it can do. I also think that the attractiveness of an app is not always just about colors/backgrounds etc but also about how easy it is to just pick up and use and how it tells you where you are and where you need to go to do something.

Here are a few snippets from different threads on ideas that i have suggested:

Would it be possible to add another set of "Report Columns" options in the display tab for the large icon slide display style. This way you would have a "Report Columns" for each display style and you could choose different columns to use for each style. I think this would work well especially with the functionality to automatically switch display styles. I find myself using the large icons for regular app launching etc where i wouldnt normally need to view a lot of the other columns however when it automatically switches to the small icon report for file/dir results, as well as a lot of the plugin results, i would like to see additional columns.

Likewise in the Fonts tab you could have the option to set the font/size for the other rows besides the "Name" row when using the large icon style. Being able to change the fonts would imo be very helpful in making the "Name" row more prominent and distinguishable from any other rows the user has specified.

3. With regards to the interface i think one nice option would be to add an icon to the left of the query box right above the search results which would reflect the icon from the first search result or the current alias/plugin you are using. I think this allows you visually to identify the result you are looking for quicker. I see this as a middle ground between using the small icon report, which i use as i prefer having more results with a larger query font, and the large icon slide.

While we're on the subject it would be great if FARR had jpg and png support. I find them alot easier to find then icons and it would also open up a couple of other interesting options :D.

A lot of this stuff doesn't really add to the functionality of FARR but does a great deal for its usability and appeal which along with some of those videos Mouser mentioned will definitely increase FARR's adoption rate.