ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

opera downward spiral into oblivion: most sites don't work, they don't care

<< < (2/4) > >>

Dormouse:
In terms of website compatibility, the number 1 is ie, followed by FF followed by Opera - for Windows apps. I think that is the main problem here - website owners don't feel they need to try to ensure compatibility with Opera because its market share doesn't give them sufficient incentive. Opera was the most standards compliant browser (for a time at least), but that had no effect on this issue. I don't think there is much Opera can do about it unless they get their market share up. Mozilla played the Ope Source card very well with the Take Back The Web campaign and the World Record dowload attempt, as did Apple by sneaking a browser in to Ipod updates; not sure what cards Opera has to play apart from having a better browser.

Is that a problem? Somewhat, but not much of one.
I use Opera all the time. For me, it is by far the best and most effective browser, though I can see that FF might do better for those who like to massively bulk it up with plugins. Most sites work perfectly well with Opera. For sites, where Opera doesn't work so well, I first turn to FF and then to ie. It gives me the opportunity to keep myself up-to-date with how they are doing and confirms me in my preference for Opera.

Darwin:
What has had me turning to Opera of late is its speed and reliability... it just works! IE 6 and 7 both seem to have been buggered by the Aug 12 updates from MS. They're both working fine right now (have a Win2k and a WinXP machine both running and connected to the internet at the moment), but will go off on tangents wherein it can take upwards of a minute for keyboard and mouse activity to register on Google's page, for example. When this is happening, I open Opera and it works immediately... This seems to be a documented problem without a workaround. PITA, but shame on me for updating my system...

As I've mentioned elsewhere, the one thing keeping me from switching to Opera full-hog is Roboform Pro. I have literally 100's of passwords saved in it and can't face having to re-enter them into Opera... though I am increasingly tempted to do so!

tide:
No browser is perfect. I rarely come across a site that doesn't work with Opera. But I don't see the big deal you're making about it. With today's low cost memory chips, humongous HDs, high speed processors and broadband it's a trivial matter to fire up another browser for those occasions when another browser would be more suitable. A quick Alt-Tab and you're back to where you started.

You can even configure Opera to open your current page in any other browser you wish. No biggie.

Darwin:
I don't see the big deal you're making about it.-tide (August 24, 2008, 01:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

What else would I complain about?! Seriously, you're right (and I have IE7/Maxthon 2, Opera, and Firefox installed), but there is a sense that being able to use a single browser shouldn't be too much to ask!

J-Mac:
I always have Firefox, IE, and Opera installed.  I do like Opera but compatibility issues with websites and the inability to use Roboform have kept me from making it my preferred browser.  Firefox is no treat at times, but its extensibility is simply too much for me to give it up!

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version