ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

***searching for an innovative organizer program - not the traditional types

(1/6) > >>

alphahumanoid841:
hi, the organizer program would be _integrated_ and have a central place that is useful to look at. say we enter a bunch of tasks for monday, and part of those tasks aren't finish; then the program would remember whatever was leftover and flow it onto the next day and forever until all these tasks (and more that will be added) are complete.

sure, some program have to-do list, but that's not what im looking for - the to-do list is separate and disintegrated for the main daily view (with the times on the left side), which you could easily click on the right button and it shows you the next day, or likely better a slider and you can see at least a weeks view.

usefully customizable is something lacking in many traditional (outdated) organizer programs. a more minor point but there should be an "alert/urgent" section, where you enter atm tasks you jus received/recalled/etc. this section would be much more useful if it was movable within the main program so you could move it to the side to get a better view of the "main" oh this section would be relatively small without doubt since we don't need a large space for imminent tasks. if this window was scalable, all the better for those that need the flexibility.     

anyhow the flow of data/objectives/tasks/etc. to the next day is the most important function for the program. of course this is jus a fraction of the "ideal" concept, but basically a program that is not the same-old same-old "isn't something better than this piece of crap??"

adding in elements for project management program and applying them on the personal/individual level would be a beautiful thing. out of all the softwares in the world, surely there has to exist after all this time something remotely similar - or even better.

if anyone has any sort of helpful solution on any os (and i'll install that os), i'ld love to hear it.

SKesselman:
hi, the organizer program would be _integrated_ and have a central place that is useful to look at. say we enter a bunch of tasks for monday, and part of those tasks aren't finish; then the program would remember whatever was leftover and flow it onto the next day and forever until all these tasks (and more that will be added) are complete.
-alphahumanoid841 (August 22, 2008, 11:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Alpha,
This is a "rollover" feature and is available in many information management applications.

There are hundreds upon hundreds of apps like this on the market, too many to mention. Many will allow you to choose which side of the screen you wish to view your tasks. I can't think of the name for that, but I'd probably add "tasks pane", "custom" & "user-defined" to my search for now.

:-\As for the rest,
Can you list some programs & their features that you've tried in the past? What did you find useful or annoying about their features?

alphahumanoid841:
how exciting! a reply and moveover that these function do exist.

i tried searching with a some of those terms mentioned thought this post, for the google results, was the third one, and some of the results related to outlook, so basically no luck.

by any chance, does anyone know of a link to a list of related programs? i tried to wiki for one, but no luck. couldn't find a comparison-type list also, which would've been better.

"Can you list some programs & their features.." - most recently i havent found anything that would be a program that, given it's importance, i would use daily. the features/functions of the few programs tired in the past however, which i dont really remember the name of, simply didn't meet the needs expressed above.

i'm glad to hear that there are "many" with this "rollover-type feature," but where in the universe do you find them........  because as expressed in the first post, that would be the main/core/chief/dire/most significant need. 

Whereismyangel:
You should find something interesting here :

http://www.outlinersoftware.com/topics/viewt/807/0/list-of-outliners

Enjoy !  :Thmbsup:

tomos:
You should find something interesting here :

http://www.outlinersoftware.com/topics/viewt/807/0/list-of-outliners (not by me)
-Whereismyangel (August 31, 2008, 11:41 AM)
--- End quote ---
for an alphabetically, freeware/non-freeware sorted version of the same list (not by me)
this list in an online spreadsheet, with read/write access to all, as in this one where I’ve imported the original list:

http://www.editgrid.com/user/pplandry/List_of_Outliners-tomos (July 24, 2008, 03:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

but it's not really much help unless you have a year off to test them all
you need recommendations really ... & I'm afraid I cant help much there ...
We need a big thread like the notetaking thread but about organisers/PIMs

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version