ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Beware the Google Threat - Big Fat Ass Brother (BFAB)

<< < (5/5)

Ehtyar:
Most of those features are rendered moot by cookie blocking, NoScript and POPS with Thunderbird. It occurs to me though that you use Customize Google to prevent clicktracking and removal of UID. Why would you be concerned only about Google and no other corporate entity? Google may have amassed the largest database but they're also likely to be under the most intense scrutiny at any given time.

Ehtyar.

P.S. Stop being so damn paranoid Kartal, you're embarrassing me :P

4wd:
Most of those features are rendered moot by cookie blocking, NoScript and POPS with Thunderbird. It occurs to me though that you use Customize Google to prevent clicktracking and removal of UID.-Ehtyar (January 01, 2009, 11:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't block all cookies, (third party only), but all cookies are cleared when I exit Firefox.  And blocking cookies won't give me back the screen space occupied by Google's ads.

Using Thunderbird is OK when I'm sitting at my PC, however when I'm on the road with a laptop I use the web interface - I don't keep email on my laptops.

And it's not removal of UID, it's anonymising it.

So to sum up:
Allow cookies = get ads, waste screen space.
Disallow cookies = No Google account access at all.
Use Customize Google = Google account access, no ads, customised search, force Google pages into https, lots of other options to happify my Google experience.

I could whiz up a GreaseMonkey script to do the https, no ads, etc, but why bother when someone has already created a add-on that takes care of it and adds a few more things ?

Why would you be concerned only about Google and no other corporate entity?
--- End quote ---

I visit corporate websites very rarely and NoScript is still running when I do.

And what's with the Spanish Inquisition, (not that I expected it) ?

You, being paranoid, should just accept that the more layers of obfuscation between yourself and everyone is a Good ThingTM :)

EDIT: Sorry, noticed you said corporate entity.  Oh well, there's still NoScript, AdBlock and OSS has a rather large list of sites to block.
        Plus while I can't do something about all of them, I can at least do something about one of them.

BTW, getting back to Carnivore which links to Magic Lanternw, there's a reason right there not to buy or use USA based anti-virus.
Instead, take advantage of the current Lifetime special on the Russian based Outpost Security Suite.   :greenclp:

Ehtyar:
You misunderstood my meaning. What I meant by what I said was that the reason I suspect I didn't find Customize Google useful was that most of its main usability point are already implemented by other browser addons I use.

Ehtyar.

kartal:
**Ehtyar boots f0d man out of the tin-foil-hat-brigade and inducts kartal as an honorary member.-Ehtyar (January 01, 2009, 02:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think Kartal should be President actually, he's way too paranoid to be an Honorary Member :P

I also use NoScript and cookie blockers.
--- End quote ---

If you're going to deal with Google then at least deal with them on your terms and use Customize Google.
-4wd (January 01, 2009, 09:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Uhmm I think that I was right about my concerns 4 years ago, now that it is all spilled out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version