ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Beware the Google Threat - Big Fat Ass Brother (BFAB)

<< < (4/5) > >>

cmpm:
I think there is a difference in casually collecting info for advertisement purposes and aggressively monitoring activity that would make you a target for a particular purpose.

Profiling is what it's called in the US, to single out someone based on certain factors. Like a cop pulling you over cause you have a nice car and a certain color of skin.

To be real, a government agency here in the US can target you as a suspect. Which would give them free access to info google or any other service has collected. And your computer. At will at any time.

For an individual to take aggressive action to block monitoring practices and services would be too time consuming and costly, to me anyway.

If any service is deemed legit and not out to steal or worse, then that don't bother me. Google has it's analytic machine in most sites that I visit.

Not being engaged in illegal practices, I don't worry about it. If I was then that's a whole different ballgame.

Anyway, my 2 cents worth, which is just obvious observation of what happens on my computer. That everyone can plainly see if looking.

Ehtyar:
**Ehtyar boots f0d man out of the tin-foil-hat-brigade and inducts kartal as an honorary member.
I also use NoScript and cookie blockers.

And tbh, if I have to watch ads, I'd rather have ads that might actually interest me - so yay google analytics.
-f0dder (August 22, 2008, 08:09 AM)
--- End quote ---
You're confusing adsense with the service Google provides to webmasters to analyze their traffic. That should be scary enough.

Chrome was the last nail in Google's coffin for me. I still have a Gmail for websites i expect to send spam, but I imagine you'll find it difficult to find a free email provider that isn't datamining your emails, Google was just up front about it. I won't discuss Chrome, I think pretty much everyone on here knows my opinion on it (and are probably sick of reading it ;)).

My primary concern is simply that modern day society will soon become a surveillance society, and living in Australia no matter what you say is a legitimate concern.

4wd:
**Ehtyar boots f0d man out of the tin-foil-hat-brigade and inducts kartal as an honorary member.-Ehtyar (January 01, 2009, 02:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think Kartal should be President actually, he's way too paranoid to be an Honorary Member :P

I also use NoScript and cookie blockers.
--- End quote ---

If you're going to deal with Google then at least deal with them on your terms and use Customize Google.

Ehtyar:
I think Kartal should be President actually, he's way too paranoid to be an Honorary Member :P
-4wd (January 01, 2009, 09:55 PM)
--- End quote ---
WTF? I'm easily equally paranoid, shutup :P

If you're going to deal with Google then at least deal with them on your terms and use Customize Google.
--- End quote ---
I tried it and wasn't too impressed. Which features do you find most valuable?

Ehtyar.

4wd:
**Ehtyar boots f0d man out of the tin-foil-hat-brigade and inducts kartal as an honorary member.-Ehtyar (January 01, 2009, 02:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
WTF? I'm easily equally paranoid, shutup :P-Ehtyar (January 01, 2009, 10:04 PM)
--- End quote ---
No way - he actively discourages people from posting Google links as an answer to his posts  :D

Any suggestions? No googleing advices please.-kartal (January 01, 2009, 01:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

-Ehtyar (January 01, 2009, 02:12 PM)
--- End quote ---
I tried it and wasn't too impressed. Which features do you find most valuable?
--- End quote ---

All the 'Remove Ads' selections, (increases screen space for more info) - except in Products and Books for obvious reasons.
'Anonymize Google UID' - so I don't have to block the cookies - I have a few GMail accounts.
'Add links to other search sites' - just in case I want to check other results.
'Remove Click Tracking' - because I don't want to be.
'Switch to https' - wherever possible.

Plus a few others to preset Google Search, etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version