ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Name The Best UNZIPPER!

(1/10) > >>

Curt:
What is the best unzipper?

There are a great number of zippers and unzippers, and I am using both AL-Zip and 7-Zip, and have tried several other 'container' handling programs, over time; but never have I been fully satisfied! Quite often I decide to bulk download a lot of zip containers containing icons, and unzip them into as few folders as possible, in order to sort out those icons I don't want to keep. But icons as well as many other files are often followed by a readme.txt or readme.rtf - a readme that I of course would like to keep. But not once have I met an unzipper that would offer me to auto-rename these readmes! This is a very disappointing mis-feature, in my opinion! I mean, these zip authors are downloading things themselves, don't they ever end up in the same situation, having to choose between overwriting  or  not (bulk) extracting at all?
Of course you understand that I am not talking about replacing or renaming everything, but renaming readmes only.

So I came here to ask what UNZIPPER 'you' think is The Best?

* and if it can offer such "auto-rename readme" feature, please?

Including this feature might make it The Best Unzipper, in my opninion!

--
There so many unzippers that I have decided not to set up a poll. Not yet, anyway.

blackaj:
I like Al-Zip but I didn't know it existed in other languages than korean  8)

lanux128:
WinRAR has this auto-rename feature (see pic). more about WinRAR on the Best Archive Tool review, though it's been some time since it was written. :)

PhilB66:
WinRAR has this auto-rename feature
-lanux128 (August 21, 2008, 10:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

So does 7-zip  ;)

Dirhael:
WinRAR has this auto-rename feature
-lanux128 (August 21, 2008, 10:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

So does 7-zip  ;)
-PhilB66 (August 21, 2008, 10:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

Most archivers have that functionality, but that's not really what he's asking for... ;)

Of course you understand that I am not talking about replacing or renaming everything, but renaming readmes only.-Curt
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version