ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

In search of ideal backup utility

<< < (16/20) > >>

tslim:
Hi mwang,

I like your way of testing it out to the bottom of the fact. Thanks a lot for letting me know that GBM Pro does not actually employ a up-to-date zip engine and it only supports unicode zipping partially or with some sort of work around... um.. so call GRename Technology.

I might be lucky that I have always (and am expecting it to be so for a long time) set non-unicode language of my XP to Chinese Simplified and I don't have filenames in Korean.
Put it this way, even if I need to search, I won't have problem.
To be frank, I never search my backup set. Maybe it is because I build/group backup from jobs in quite a systematic way, so locating a piece/a file from all backup sets is relatively easy.

Strictly speaking, what GBM Pro can do, in term of unicode support, is already up to my requirement. I am so eager to find something better to replace it due to 3 major things:
1) Its brainless interface design throughout the whole program.
2) Its backup filter is poor.
3) It does not support grouping of jobs.

and excuse me, I just couldn't help myself... let me moan one more time on the 1):
You won't believe it, a simple thing like picking a backup job can become such a great challenge... a picture worth a thousand words, please see the attachment.

I hope some kind-hearted person will invite the GBM Pro author to this thread, let him see what have he done.

DonL:
... XYplorer would be my file manager if it had true unicode support (it does now) when I was hunting for an Explorer replacement. Now as I'm planning to move to Linux, I'm not paying for anything that works only on Windows, unless I absolutely can't live without it. As a result, I'm stuck with DOpus, for now. (Ah, sounds like I don't like DOpus. Actually I do, despite many small complaints.)-mwang (August 31, 2008, 05:28 PM)
--- End quote ---
XYplorer works on ubuntu I've been told by users. Ask for details in XY's user forum.

mwang:
To be frank, I never search my backup set. Maybe it is because I build/group backup from jobs in quite a systematic way, so locating a piece/a file from all backup sets is relatively easy.-tslim (September 01, 2008, 04:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

I envy you, I must say. My backup sets are quite well organized alright, but my files aren't. I move them around all the time. As a result, I'm not really sure where to look in the rare cases where I really need to retrieve a file from the backups.

Strictly speaking, what GBM Pro can do, in term of unicode support, is already up to my requirement. I am so eager to find something better to replace it due to 3 major things:
1) Its brainless interface design throughout the whole program.-tslim (September 01, 2008, 04:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

I noticed this while trying it out months ago. My main candidates at the time were GBM Home 8 and Backup4all 3.1. The latter, unfortunately, didn't have unicode support, either, for the same reason (zip format issue, there was no zip 6.3 yet, iirc).  I remember writing them about it, asking them to consider 7z. They politely said that they would consider it. But I never wrote to GBM's developers, for I thought it would be too time consuming to detail what I didn't like.

2) Its backup filter is poor.-tslim (September 01, 2008, 04:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

No backup programs I've tried beat Dantz Retrospect (now EMC Retrospect) in this regard. The filtering system was so flexible and powerful. I could define a set of rules called "garbage files", e.g., and then include the "garbage files" filter in other filters to exclude them. Filters could be defined using all sort of criteria, linked with logical operators like "and", "or" and "not". Oh, how I miss that. Retrospect had its own fair set of braindead "features" as well, however, aside from being expensive, so I got rid of it eventually.

I've been watching this thread with interest, for the criteria you layout at the start pretty much sum up what I want in a backup solution. Too bad we're still looking. Maybe I'll have better luck once switched to linux.  :)

mwang:
XYplorer works on ubuntu I've been told by users. Ask for details in XY's user forum.-DonL (September 01, 2008, 08:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Through Wine or something? I'm afraid that's not good enough. File manager and text editor are the most important tools for me; they're always open (staying in the system tray on Windows). I wouldn't want Wine involved in this arrangement.

That said, thanks for chipping in. I've been an admirer of yours. (Undue influence from zridling perhaps?)

laurentdc:
Hi,

Nobody tried SyncBackPro v5, even Mouser in its backup tests !
I think it does everything required in the 1st post.
It does not backup a full disk, but DriveImage XML will do that times to times.
There is also a great Syncback freeware version !

Regards

http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/compare.html
http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/sbpro-features.html

http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version