ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

In search of ideal backup utility

<< < (7/20) > >>

cmpm:
Just the fact that Softland will speak of his program as openly as he is, ups my opinion of his software and it's potential, which he has said he is still working on. Employing more minds on the project as well, by the comment about third party contributors. Which is how a lot, or should I say most of the programs and help happens here at DC.

Having a backup that can be counted on is worth a lot. And it seems to me that this is Softland's goal.

So I would not be too quick to give up on this program with direct input from it's developer.

And not to count out Titan either. If they were aware of this conversation they might have some input as well.

Shades:
If you really want to take the time to study manuals...try Bacula. This is a linux based backup solution with Windows client software. No matter how strange you want to do any kind/type of backup...Bacula is able to store your info whenever, wherever on whatever.

But be ready to do some serious reading and prepare for a lot of trial and error. However, when it is running, it is truly a live saver. It is also able to do bare-metal-backups.

For backing up the registry, use ERUNT. The resulting files can be taken into a backup-set from Bacula. Both Bacula and ERUNT are free to use.

tslim:
So I would not be too quick to give up on this program with direct input from it's developer.

And not to count out Titan either. If they were aware of this conversation they might have some input as well.
-cmpm (August 22, 2008, 08:59 PM)
--- End quote ---
I hope they really will.

BTW, I just read the blog of TitantBackup and about their future direction:
1) Backup to online storage - That is a good one. Anyway GBM already does that.
2) Imaging or cloning like Ghost - This one I think is NO GOOD. I don't see a great future for this, knowing nowadays the HDD size is growing faster than human population, TB HDD has enter the market... and knowing there are more and more mobo equiped with onboard RAID capability, one might as well use RAID to mirror.
3) User Forum - This is great! They should have put this in the highest priority. This one is definitely not for a product where the development team does not has enough guts to face challenges.

CGA:
I feel i have to put in a word for Backup4all here. Been a user of this software for a long time and i must say it is a very reliable product which hasn't failed me once. I have tried a lot of backup programs and this is the one that i found to be the most configurable and reliable among the affordable ones.

Dormouse:
Btw, I review the series of screen shots by Dirhael and I find TitanBackup supports grouping.
Ah, why didn't you tell me at the beginning...

Seriously, do you know whether is it unicode aware and able to backup ADS?
If so, then it is one big step closer to my 7 needs, I wonder if the company gives discount to user who switch from their competitors...:)

Anyway, I will download it and flip through its features, thank you.
-tslim (August 22, 2008, 08:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you are interested in Titan,it might beworth keeping an eye on GAOTD; IIRC it's been on there twice in recent months  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version