ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

In search of ideal backup utility

<< < (4/20) > >>

tslim:

Now, looking closer at my own utilities I find

http://www.titanbackup.com/

supports registry operations as well as being a true backup utility.
-cmpm (August 21, 2008, 07:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hi cmpm,
Can you post a screen shot on the main interface.
Is wizard like interface is the only choice (just like Genie Backup Manager), if so, I can save my time to try it.

tomos:
That sounds more like a workaround than real grouping. I can immediately see a problem, how to have groups sharing particular job?
-tslim (August 21, 2008, 08:53 AM)
--- End quote ---
agreed

Is all the manual's explanation on file / folder settings also applied to those files/folders being zip in a zip package?
On right side, create a new folder each time
Check Existence Of Destination File Again During Copying
Clear Archive Flags
--- End quote ---
here's the relevant options

Just a quick clue please:
It is possible to create a job, where each run will create a new xxx(n).zip on the right side, n is increment counter and had SFFS control how big n can go. That is if all the xxx(n).zip of a job are backup to a destination folder say Mybackup, I can set n=52, so Mybackup will holds no more than 52 zips and when n hits 52, that is after the xxx(52).zip is created, the n roll back to 1 and start all over?
--- End quote ---
Yes
again maybe easiest to show options

when you say xxx(n).zip if you mean you want the number of the increment to show in the name e.g. General(23).zip - No
Cant help you much more, today at any rate
Tom

cmpm:
It could be considered wizard like but it's not imo. It's more a step by step process type deal where I would have to do a backup and take screenshots at each step.

In other words it will not show the details of each step without actually taking action in each step.

There is a 15 day trial to give it a whirl.

Dirhael:

Now, looking closer at my own utilities I find

http://www.titanbackup.com/

supports registry operations as well as being a true backup utility.
-cmpm (August 21, 2008, 07:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hi cmpm,
Can you post a screen shot on the main interface.
Is wizard like interface is the only choice (just like Genie Backup Manager), if so, I can save my time to try it.

-tslim (August 21, 2008, 09:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

Here's a few screenshots where I'm creating a regular backup job.

cmpm:
A short but informative write up from-

http://jonathanstoolbar.blogspot.com/2007/10/40-never-back-down-just-back-up.html

Titan Backup

Titan Backup impressed me with its feature set, yet still is easy to use.

Backup item selection: Files, folders, and entire drives. Select by browsing or specifying inclusion and/or exclusion file masks. Can automatically exclude temporary and useless files. Predefined sets provided for picture, music, video, financial, and productivity (Office, PDF, etc.) file extensions. You can see only file names and sizes when selecting, but not dates or other properties.

Profiles: You can set up multiple backup sets for different purposes through a step-by-step wizard. Special file types you can select include emails, contacts, rules, signatures (predefined sets for Outlook Express, Outlook, Eudora, Thunderbird, Opera, and Windows Mail); registry keys; and user settings for Windows, browsers, IM clients, media players, and certain utilities.

Backup types: Full, differential, and incremental, with or without versioning. A preview window shows differences between the current file and the last backup.

Scheduler: Manual, one time, on Windows startup or shutdown, or by day of the week or an interval of hours or days .

File format and encryption: Native or compressed ZIP format (can be encrypted with a ZIP password) or 256-bit AES encryption.

Destinations: Backups can be copied to a hard disk or other drive, burned to a CD or DVD (with spanning), or transmitted over the Internet by FTP.

Notification: Titan can email you to notify you of the results of its operations.

Special functions: Does not back up open files. Automatically finds Outlook, Outlook Express, and other special data files (see “Profiles” above). Titan Backup can run specified programs before and/or after backup. It can back up the Windows registry.

Ease of use and GUI: This program’s GUI is slick and easy to use, but presents a lot of choices.

Windows versions supported: 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP, Vista.

Titan Backup costs $39.95.

Download site: http://www.titanbackup.com

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version