ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Odd FF3 Problem... sucking up bandwidth

<< < (2/3) > >>

PaladinMJ:
The thing you need to tell us is whether this is just a momentary spike, or if it's like that all the time you're running firefox. As other people have already suggested, there's legitimate reasons for a (relatively) short spike at startup.
-f0dder (August 21, 2008, 10:38 PM)
--- End quote ---
right, i realized that i was unclear about the length of time that the issue was taking. it is constant until i close ff3, if i leave it up 7 hours straight it steals all my download bandwidth for 7 hours.
sorry it took me so long to get back to you all, i was afraid that i might be spraying malware out to others and had yo get my other system set up in a more accessible location.

what addons are you using? Foxmarks for example will sync your bookmarks on start depending on your settings.
-justice (August 20, 2008, 04:56 AM)
--- End quote ---
I have disabled all addon's except adblock, greasemonkey (with 3 scripts I wrote that i know the problem, paypal plug in, and IEtab.

tomos:
just to test, make a new "clean" profile & see has that the same problem

nosh:
You could use a net monitoring utility or a firewall to see which server(s) it's connecting to.

Lashiec:
Process Explorer is able to show to which servers is Firefox connected, by clicking on "Properties" of the "firefox.exe" process, and going to the "TCP/IP" tab. Still, is weird to see malware only working when Firefox is open, and is not visible in physical form (toolbar, plugin, etc.). Try to disable all addons as well.

PaladinMJ:
first off..thanks to all!

secondly, i found the issue and boy am i steamed! it was the paypal add-on for ff3!
I happened to notice the same problem on a different system and did some scouring to see what the common link was. it was the add-on, once that was eradicated everything is fine.

the reason I'm steamed is twofold, one its the legitimate plug-in.. its not infected or modified at all. so what are they trying to do? second I uninstalled the plug-in weeks ago after a 2 hour trial run in a sandieboxed ff3. so how/why  it ended back in there behind my back i ain't sure. but i did some md5 comps against the legit version and they match so....yeah anyway issue resolved.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version