ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Circle Dock

Windows Start Menu Shadow Residue Bug

<< < (2/3) > >>

Dormouse:
I'm at 120 top level icons now, and have only just started playing with the dock folders (about another 8 in there). Not sure what I'll end up putting in them yet, as it is most efficient having everything at top level. Not sure what the top number for that is, but it would be even bigger if the outer circles could contain more icons than the inner one (and I'm sure this is planned  ;) ). Still can't get it over 50% CPU however much I move it; seems pretty reasonable on resource use.

If I try the start menu now, it does come up even having reactivated the Vista Start Menu, but I have a problem in that if I move my mouse towards it, it disappears again before my mouse gets there. Maybe a TLB/VSM conflict.

VideoInPicture:
I'm at 120 top level icons now, and have only just started playing with the dock folders (about another 8 in there). Not sure what I'll end up putting in them yet, as it is most efficient having everything at top level. Not sure what the top number for that is, but it would be even bigger if the outer circles could contain more icons than the inner one (and I'm sure this is planned  ;) ). Still can't get it over 50% CPU however much I move it; seems pretty reasonable on resource use.

If I try the start menu now, it does come up even having reactivated the Vista Start Menu, but I have a problem in that if I move my mouse towards it, it disappears again before my mouse gets there. Maybe a TLB/VSM conflict.
-Dormouse (August 27, 2008, 06:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

I can't believe how many icons you guys are putting on a single level!!! I'll be improving the speed of loading the dock folders in Alpha 8 so there will be less lag. And yes, I will be adding more shape options.

The Start Menu is disappearing in your case because the dock is grabbing focus when you hover over part of it. Have you tried setting the option to hide the dock after it executes something in Settings Panel -> Dock Items -> Hide Dock? This will prevent the dock from grabbing focus because it will fade away.

Circle Dock won't be able to open your special start menu because it is hardcoded to show the default Windows start menu, which has a class name of "DV2Host" and I don't think other start menus use this. I'll be adding an option for the middle button to execute other things beside opening up the default start menu, but I don't think I could move any of the other add-on start menus to where Circle Dock is located.

wreckedcarzz:
I have mine on my laptop organized into a nice little top level + 4 folders system. Top level, Programs, Adobe Programs, Games, Maintenance. Like 30 icons total.

Dormouse:
I'll be improving the speed of loading the dock folders in Alpha 8 so there will be less lag. And yes, I will be adding more shape options.-VideoInPicture (August 27, 2008, 06:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Faster would definitely be better. Also a set of included icons/folders in the right click menu might be quite fast (there's no point in putting a lot of icons in a virtual folder).

To some extent, I'm testing out the reasonable usability limits. Can certainly go higher than I have atm, but no more than another ring or two. I could benefit from geting the icons more densely packed if there were the same density for each ring, buthaving the icons going out in spokes is also a good way of organising them - at least if there were an easy way to decide which spoke and which ring each icon was on. [I can rearrange icons by moving them one over the other, but haven't yet worked out the rules that decide where the outgoing icon moves too; I probably just need to look at this a bit more].

The Start Menu is disappearing in your case because the dock is grabbing focus when you hover over part of it. Have you tried setting the option to hide the dock after it executes something in Settings Panel -> Dock Items -> Hide Dock? This will prevent the dock from grabbing focus because it will fade away.

Circle Dock won't be able to open your special start menu because it is hardcoded to show the default Windows start menu, which has a class name of "DV2Host" and I don't think other start menus use this. I'll be adding an option for the middle button to execute other things beside opening up the default start menu, but I don't think I could move any of the other add-on start menus to where Circle Dock is located.
-VideoInPicture (August 27, 2008, 06:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't expect Circle Dock to open VSM and don't really need it to open the Start Menu - I was just looking at what it did really. With Circle Dock, I wouldn't be using the start menu (any type) much anyway. Quite happy with it opening the default Start Menu, if only I could see it all and use it - but if it weren't there I probably wouldn't be mentioning it as a desired feature.

VideoInPicture:
Dormouse, are you using Vista or XP? I'm going to be uploading Alpha 7.4 in a few minutes that has a few new features. One of them is the ability to use the default high resolution icons in Vista so you don't have to swap everything icon out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version