ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Circle Dock

Windows Start Menu Shadow Residue Bug

(1/3) > >>

VideoInPicture:
Here's a bug I have not been able to figure out. If you have Windows XP or Vista and you have enabled the "Show shadows under menus" style in your visual styles, then the Windows Start Menu leaves a persistant shadow on the desktop when Circle Dock is used to open it. The screen shot below illustrates my point:

Windows Start Menu Shadow Residue Bug1

The code I'm using to call the Windows Start Menu is quite simple (C#):

IntPtr StartMenuHandle = (IntPtr)Pinvoke.Win32.FindWindow("DV2ControlHost", null);
IntPtr taskBarWnd = (IntPtr)Pinvoke.Win32.FindWindow("Shell_TrayWnd", null);
IntPtr startWnd = Pinvoke.Win32.FindWindowEx(taskBarWnd, IntPtr.Zero, "Button", "Start");

Pinvoke.Win32.SetWindowPos(taskBarWnd, IntPtr.Zero, 0, 0, 0, 0, Pinvoke.Win32.SWP_NOSIZE | Pinvoke.Win32.SWP_SHOWWINDOW |
        Pinvoke.Win32.SWP_NOMOVE);
Pinvoke.Win32.SetWindowPos(startWnd, IntPtr.Zero, 0, 0, 0, 0, Pinvoke.Win32.SWP_NOSIZE | Pinvoke.Win32.SWP_SHOWWINDOW |
        Pinvoke.Win32.SWP_NOMOVE);
Pinvoke.Win32.SetWindowPos(StartMenuHandle, IntPtr.Zero, StartMenuBestPos.X, StartMenuBestPos.Y, 0, 0, Pinvoke.Win32.SWP_NOSIZE |
        Pinvoke.Win32.SWP_SHOWWINDOW);

The StartMenuHandle is the handle to the start menu itself and the other handles are for the start button and the taskbar. I think this may actually be a bug with Windows itself. Any thoughts or solutions?

wreckedcarzz:
I can confirm that this happens to me as well on Vista Home Premium 32 bit. I don't know any C#, but figured I would point out that it happens to me too.

VideoInPicture:
I searched the web and other programmers are having the same issue with the shadows not going away. Apparently, Microsoft did not implement the shadow ownerships very well. I just wonder how Object Dock gets the start menu to show up with out shadow residue.

If you want to remedy the problem, just turn off the "Show shadow under menus" option in your visual styles in Windows.

fsieber:
I now consider the program operational.  I have 73 icons.  I would like to see an inner diameter adjustment as well as outer on the background so I could get it to cover all the icons.   Sometimes the icons are hard to see against a complicated desktop background, etc.   Thanks.

VideoInPicture:
I now consider the program operational.  I have 73 icons.  I would like to see an inner diameter adjustment as well as outer on the background so I could get it to cover all the icons.   Sometimes the icons are hard to see against a complicated desktop background, etc.   Thanks.
-fsieber (August 27, 2008, 03:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

73 icons!!!!!! I hope you are using the dock folders to organize them!  :o

As for the background size adjustments, you can adjust the overall size of it in the settings panel under the Background tab. However, you are not able to independently adjust both the inner diameter and the outer diameter due to how a picture scales mathematically. What you can do is try searching on Google for a PNG image of a solid circle and uses that as your background. Then, you can size the background to cover all your icons.

I may improve how the background is rendered later on and I'm planning on adding code that allows you to add a background that is drawn mathematically instead of using a PNG image. But that is just a plan for now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version