ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best Personal Translation/Dictionary/Thesaurus Software?

(1/4) > >>

moerl:
My license for Babylon Pro ran out last week. I'm on the lookout for the best software in this category now. This type of software is EXTREMELY useful for just about anyone. And being that I am a college student, it is not only useful but crucial to my every day work.

I like Babylon Pro but I can't quite believe that it is the best the world has to offer in that category. The only other program of that type I know about is WordWeb, which I've never tried before. Its interface does not look as elegant as Babylon's, and Babylon offers official dictionaries like Merriam-Webster and Oxford Concise English Dictionary in electronic form, something I don't think WordWeb is doing. Anyway.. would anyone know more about this? I'd highly appreciate any suggestions.

Of course, you can always look things up at dictionary.com. But what if you're offline? And also, if you're looking stuff up on a website you first have to query that website, even if it's as easy as typing "d" in the address bar, followed by a space and then the word you're looking for - (that's the way dictionary.com is set up as a custom search in my Opera browser). Babylon also comes with its own OCR engine which allows you to search a word in it by holding a button combo on the keyboard and right-clicking any word on the screen. That makes for very fast lookups, something that no website could offer.

I think I've said enough.

imtrobin:
If you find Wordweb bad, then it's pretty hard to find a better one. You can try TheSage

http://www.sequencepublishing.com/thesage.html

moerl:
I never said I thought it was bad. I even said I'd never used it before :). I'm quite willing to try it. Oh and I forgot to say... I'm totally willing to pay for this type of thing.

mouser:
i think this is really 2 dif kinds of programs, translators and dictionaries.
i've never seen a program that was good at both.

i love to see dictionary and translator reviews, hint hint.

ps.
doing a big long review is probably a good way to get a free copy; certainly the reviewer would be the first inline for such a donated copy.

moerl:
If only I had the time for that type of thing...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version